The best way to learn new languages

Between school courses and apps like Duolingo, there are many different ways to learn new languages. The internet can be a great resource if you know where to go. It’s always important to note that Google Translate is not a viable way to learn any language. When learning a new language, repetition is one of the most important things. If you do a little bit every day, your brain will start to absorb the language better. It’s also really helpful to seek out people who are native speakers of the language you’re learning because then you can see how native speakers pronounce the words. Of course, everyone’s different, so share what you think the best way to learn new languages is!

3 Likes

I like to watch tv in the new languages that I’m trying to learn with dutch or english subtitles this helps me improve a lot.

1 Like

I think that immersion is supposed to be a really good way to learn a language, so whatever you can about that

Talking to people (in person or through texting/messaging) is also a good incentive to learn more

1 Like

I mean, taking courses is the best way but watching shows/movies or listening to songs in that language can also help!

Duolingo is a great app! I didn’t use it but my friend used it to learn chinese and she learned so many characters right away!

I think the best way is to try to apply it irl. If you have friends who know the language you’re learning, maybe you can try talking with them?

However, without any doubt, consistency is the key to learning, not just languages.

For me, it’s learning words with an app, then slowly have someone explain the grammar to me and then listening to songs, read stories, chat with people who talk that language.

@Students What the best way for you to learn a new language?

There is no “best” way, the best way is a combination of multiple techniques and honing of skills.

Watching movies definitely is a pretty good way, that helped me a lot with learning English. Also, just conversations. If you go back to 2018 when I joined the episode forums, my English was pretty bad. My vocabulary was limited and I made grammatical mistakes regularly. However, conversing in English with (native English speaking) people boosted my knowledge a lot, to the point where my English is basically at C2 level right now. So exposure to a language is very important, my English only got better out of high school because I need the language daily. This wasn’t the case for Spanish, my level of Spanish was B2 at its highest (after graduation), but since I haven’t really been able to use it in my daily life it probably wouldn’t be higher than A2 if I would get tested right now. But in general, the best way is to actually try, fail and learn from that.

Closed due to inactivity