The Easter Thread

Hey all,

Since it’s Good Friday, I thought a discussion about Easter would be in order, where people can ask questions and explain what they do today! Here are my questions:

1. Do you celebrate Easter? If so, what traditions do you follow?
  2. What is your favourite religious holiday?
  3. Is there anything you would like to know about Easter?

Feel free to add any questions of your own!

7 Likes

Technically yes but we don’t do anything which pertains to the religious aspect except my parents and brother will be eating fish later and me and my parents will be having lamb on Sunday (I don’t like fish and my brother doesn’t like lamb)

Christmas :joy:

Not really, I was in the passion play at Primary and have learned more since then so if anyone else has any questions I can help answer

1 Like

Fish is a very broad food group! :eyes:

I’m not a fan of some fish, but I love salmon with a passion! I will be eating fish today and I’ve got my Easter egg waiting for me on Sunday :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not Christian so I don’t celebrate Easter, but happy Easter to everyone who celebrates it :smiley_cat::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

1 Like

I don’t particularly like seafood :joy: it has an odd texture/taste/smell

1 Like

Do you celebrate Easter? If so, what traditions do you follow?

I celebrate Easter, more out of tradition than for any religious reasons since I live in a protestant country but I’m not personally religious.

What we usually do is to gather the family and eat some food: lamb, herring, potatoes, red beet salad, snaps (shots) etc… We also gift each other Easter-eggs, usually filled with candy but sometimes other things.

When I was younger I used to dress up like an Easter-hag (?) and go out to ask for candy with my friends, similar to how you do Halloween.

What is your favourite religious holiday?

Christmas!

Is there anything you would like to know about Easter?

Maybe why and how others celebrate it? Where it is celebrated? Which cultures and religions celebrate it or something similar to Easter?

2 Likes

Yes, but it’s not a big thing in my country. When I lived in the US, Easter was more of a big deal, with egg hunts, egg decorating contest, and all of that. Here, most people don’t do anything special unless they have family members that live in another city and get together on Easter Sunday.
Usually, on Easter, I go to church with my mom. There’s a special service related to the Resurrection every year. Afterwards we have a special meal or we eat out.

Christmas!

I guess I’d like to know how the Easter bunny and the eggs thing came to be since it’s not related to Easter.

For those who celebrate Easter, enjoy :relaxed:

Long story short, early Christianity did a very pragmatic rebrand of pagan practices, traditions and holidays in order to more effectively convert pagan cultures. So instead of the spring equinox which was typically a time for festivals celebrating new life and fertility (hence the eggs) christians celebrate easter and the resurrection, the bunnies are remnants of the festival of Eostre (goddess of spring and renewal) who’s symbol was a hare. This is present in a lot of christian holidays, have a look at the history of Christmas if you’d like to go down the rabbit hole.

I celebrate Easter, but none of the religious stuff. It’s just the Easter bunny and some candy!

Christmas. Even though I don’t really celebrate it for the religious aspect.

Not really, eat chocolate eggs

Probably Christmas

Not particularly, but I’ll read it

1 Like

My family celebrates easter but not a lot. We don’t do easter egg hunts or anything my parents just gives us Easter eggs and call it a day lol :joy:

1. As a kid? Yes, I did. Last year? Yes, only 'cause I talked about it and played games with my babies (students). Now though? Not really.
  2. Uh… none of them really… Does the weekend count as a holiday? I really loved Chuseok, as well as Russian Christmas.
  3. Uh, why doesn’t the Easter bunny visit me any more? (pleading face)
2 Likes

You’re a teacher, too? :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

HAHAHA! Yes, I am, but only an ESL one.

2 Likes

:rabbit::rabbit::rabbit:

I eat hot cross buns on Good Friday. I eat chocolate on Sunday.
At the moment I’m on call so here is a cartoon of the Easter bunny working from home…

1 Like

Did you guys have a nice Easter?

I did, we had lamb and it was cooked really well by my Mum.

I celebrate with an egg hunt, because finding colorful things hidden around is fun. My mom goes to church, but that’s pretty much all we do…

Definitely Christmas, even if I don’t celebrate it religiously.

What do you guys think of Easter as a holiday? Do you do anything for it?

Closed due to inactivity