The Importance/Relevance of Historical Fiction

Hey there! For those of you who may not know, historical fiction is when a book is set in or modeled around events of the past. So, why is this important? In my opinion, it gives a different view into historical events and also allows to get more connected with these events. What do you think?

I’m also linking this article, which discusses the importance of historical fiction:
https://teachinghistory.org/nhec-blog/24679

8 Likes

I completely agree, it is very important to know about our history, especially through the eyes and depictions of different authors. It’s really interesting.

So, may I ask what your favourite historical fiction is?

4 Likes

I really like the discussion the idea of historical fiction. The bias behind a lot of authors is something that always seemed obvious to me. Someone writing about Julius Ceasar as a protagonist is gonna embellish detals and make him seem a lot nicer that he most likely really was. That kinda thing fascinates me!

2 Likes

I read one a few years ago about the Black Plague that was really well written. It been a while since I read one, but in elementary school I enjoyed reading books from this series called Dear Canada. They’re books that are written like diaries from important events in Canadian history, like the typhus and polio epidemics, the sinking of the Titanic and even as recent as Residential Schools

3 Likes

Ooooh… I love the sound of these. (makes a mental note to jot down “Dear Canada” to my reading list)

3 Likes

I’d definitely recommend Sea of Sorrows (the typhus one) and That Fatal Night (the one about the Titanic)

2 Likes

Cheers

3 Likes

Damn. I still haven’t go around to getting that book you recommended to me yet, @Caticorn.

What I will add is that one of my favourite books is an historical fiction trilogy, and I am actually read two separate books at the moment. One is set in the second world war and the other in 1950s Stalingrad. (wink)

3 Likes

I never really get into learning about history from textbooks, so I think that part of the importance of historical fiction is letting people actually envision themselves as a part of the time period.

Definitely agree with this! I think that they can provide a really interesting understanding of historical events.

This sounds really interesting!

I haven’t read a lot of historical fiction, but I definitely think it’s worth reading!

I never really enjoyed historical fiction but I get why it’s important. My history teacher used to recommend us books about historical event that be talked about in class and that really helped some of my classmates with understanding the topics

I think historical fiction is really important because I do not like reading non-fiction books, at all. However, historical fiction often interests me. Like stuff set in WWII times, I’ll read that if it’s fiction. I think historical fiction gives the reader an interesting way to learn about history.

1 Like

I’m the same way. I hate reading non-fiction books, but I love historical fiction.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity (sad face)