The Romance Genre

I think just about most of us can agree on the romance genre being a very popular genre people like to write in. To be honest, I love the romance genre myself, and I’ve written romance stories. It’s just a popular genre. But, I do feel like there should be a limit on how far the romance genre should be written. Depending on the age of the author who is writing a romance story, they are going to incorporate some explicit romance components, or innocent romance components. For example, an author who is 21 and older, may add a lot of mature and explicit romance components whereas an author who is 21 and under may incorporate a lot of teen and innocent romance components. They are fall into the romance genre, but it’s written in a different way.

What do you guys think about the romance genre?

6 Likes

Why 21? That seems like such an arbitrary age. Why not 18 like most rating systems for films?

4 Likes

i think the romance genre is overrated and the majority of the cliche stories are there

4 Likes

I find the romance section to be so boring. I don’t even remember the last time I went through that genre.
The genre could’ve been a really good one if each story wasn’t another copy of another one with the only difference being the name of each character and the authors who write each story. I’m just sick of being able to predict what’s going to happen.
I guess I’m also tired of the romance. I mean I like when there is romance in a story but I don’t like when it’s the main focus of the story but that wouldn’t really make it a romance story so…lol.

7 Likes

There is nothing interesting in that genre, it’s still stupid romance:

MC and LI meet other, hate at first sight, developing feelings for each other, wait they are in denial, then heartbreak follows, MC crying while eating ice cream because shoot she lost prince charming :open_mouth: and then the LI decides after 50 episodes she is the one for him and crawls back with a ring, MC forgiving him and get married! Oof so many plot twists…

5 Likes

I’ve always found the ‘romance genre’ itself boring. I love romance, writing and reading, but usually a romance that goes alongside and reacts to the main story of a different genre. Romance stories in my action/adventure stories is brilliant. Anime has worked this into these stories in some really genius ways, it’s awesome!

That’s just me though, romance alone is kinda meh imo

2 Likes

You’re right.

1 Like

I enjoy reading romance stories, but I do agree that some of the stories repeat themselves. I find myself having to predict the outcome of romance stories all the time now.

2 Likes

Romance is better as sub-genre to be honest. Plain romance is kinda boring unless it’s classics. Plus, nowadays romance is just erotica. Gross :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Erotica is the greatest genre in the world

3 Likes

I can’t say that I am a romance lover, but depends on how people write romance stories. What I dislike about romance stories is the TMI scenes being included. And believe me, there are way many erotic stories and I find it nasty :nauseated_face:.
Even if there is some touch of romance in my (unpublished) stories, I will never ever include any erotic scenes.
I don’t really read romance stories in Episode, because there are many stories whose authors repeated others’ stories, and there are many stories that TMI scenes are included, so I’d rather not read romance much.

1 Like

May I ask what does erotica mean? I’ve never heard of that word before.

Hahahhaha yes! That is exactly how I organize like every story I write. :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

The mature stuff… Sexy stories.

2 Likes

Absolutely not

1 Like

Personally, I love a bit of mature erotic stuff in my stories, but only if the author’s given me time to know and love the two characters, plus giving the relationship enough development that I love the idea of them together. While I don’t judge others, I would never have a one night stand myself. So when the mature scene happens to early, it feels like I’m being dragged into a one night stand, which makes me feel icky

4 Likes

Smh

1 Like

I agree. :smirk::blush:

2 Likes

The romance genre intimidates me to be honest :flushed:

2 Likes

How’s that? Intimidates? xD

2 Likes