The Rory's Story Cubes Weekly Exercise

One of the best finds I have out there is Rory’s Story Cubes. I recommend picking some up if you are really into improving as a writer! They challenge you to think outside the box and write short stories, story passages or character profiles based on the results they give you! This will make you such an amazing writer over time!

So I thought that I’d do a weekly story cubes exercise with my own cubes (I have the whole collection up to date). The premise is simple: Every Friday, I’ll post a list of objects/items/actions etc from my cubes and you have to make a story based on it. We will then provide criticism and tell you what we think of your writing to help you improve.

The rules are as follows:

1. Keep your stories short! Between 100 and 2000 words please!
  2. Make sure you use all the prompts given in your story!
  3. Please give as much constructive criticism as possible!
  4. Remember to try to use the story prompts from this week only. We’re going to be moving on quite quickly every time. If you miss out on a week, you can still write it for yourself and send it to me via DM if you want some brief criticism.
  5. Keep stories PG13! If you want to do a NSFW version of your story, you are free to send me it in DMs and I’ll check it out :wink:
  6. Please don’t be afraid to participate! Don’t feel self-conscious or silly! If you have a silly story, tell us it’s silly and share it anyway!
  7. With that in mind, please don’t give really general, vague criticism. Pick out points that the writer will find it easy to tweak and change!

I’m going to be doing a thread (or blog post) full of fun and unique ways you can use Rory’s Story Cubes soon, so watch out for that!

They’re a great investment for anyone who’s serious about their writing!

If you want to pick up your own set or Rory’s Story Cubes, you can do so here:

UK Version

US Version

Good luck!

As an Amazon Associate, I earn off qualifying purchases

6 Likes

10th May 2019

• Walking
  • Sunrise
  • Archaeology/Cave Painting/Crime Scene

Maybe you can come up with your own versions!

5 Likes

I’m not going to lie: this one is going to be difficult for me! I’m a fantasy writer, but I’m going to try a different genre. But at least I have a week to do it!

4 Likes

Instead of closing this gem, I’m gonna bump this.

I have a set of my own now and I wanna get started on doing this myself, it seems like a lot of fun :smiley:

Sam Wyoming is a caveman who lives in a cave. Every day, he would wake up and walk into the sun until he reached the old tree, then walk 700 steps to his left to reach the stream. He would then fill up all of his containers, and have a drink too before setting off back to his cave. He would retrace the steps carefully and arrive at his cave safely, but one day when he was walking into the sun,he walked too far. The old tree had been swept away by the strong winds of last night, and the tree was gone. Sam realised that he had gone too far, but instead of turning and heading back, he went left in search of the water he needed. This rendered him even more lost. He had counted his steps so turns around at 180° and walked back, then straight away from the sun towards his cave.
When Sam got back finally, it was past midday so he had scarcely any time to hunt. Sam packed up his hunting kit and set off, however soon it began to rain. He cursed in cavemanosh and wandered back home, where he began the slow and tedious process of recording his story in the diary that was his wall. He drew :sunny: as his sun, :palm_tree: as the tree and :sweat_drops: as the water.
As dark hastily approached, he finished off his work and hobbled off to his bed. It had been a long day…

Hope this was still open

3 Likes

Man… I love this

1 Like

Can’t believe I write that months ago

And damn that was really bad

1 Like

I feel that all the time

1 Like

This is an eyemazing idea, I’ll try to write a story later :smiley_cat::eyes::sparkles::blush::+1:

3 Likes

O O
(—)

Bump

@ShanniiWrites ? :pleading_face:

bump-o

I can still do this if people want! I didn’t get much traction, but this forum is still for writing!

4 Likes

I forgot about this :no_mouth::eyes::sparkles::green_heart::sweat_smile:

1 Like

I want :pleading_face:

Time to embarrass my future self :smiley_cat::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

Prompt: Sun, dead body/crime scene, walking :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

Summary

The body was lying in a puddle of blood on the end of a small street. Once Jake noticed it, he couldn’t turn his eyes away from it. He couldn’t tell what exactly but something about it had caught his attention. He stared at it for another minute before he quietly started to approach it. He knew that what he was doing was dangerous but he had to come closer. It was as if the body was calling out for him. He was only three steps away from it now. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a second. Should he really walk those three steps? Or would it be better if he just turned around and ran away? Jake was beginning to doubt his descision when he suddenly heard a loud noise at the other end of the street. He opened his eyes and turned around. The noise didn’t sound like it came from a human or an animal. Jake looked around but didn’t notice anything strange or unusual. He blinked but still couldn’t see anything other than the rising sun. “I must have imagined things”, Jake said to himself and turned towards the dead body again. But what he then saw made him wish he had never walked down the street… The body he had been approaching… It was gone. There was no trace of it anymore. Did he just imagine it? Was he going crazy? Jake suddenly heard footsteps behind him. He slowly turned around. Whoever it was, was much taller than him. Jake could only see his silhouette because of the sun but he knew that he was in trouble…

I wrote this at 12pm and didn’t proofread it so I’m sorry if it doesn’t make sense at all :eyes::eyes::eyes::green_heart::joy:

Will there be a new prompt soon? :pleading_face::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

3 Likes

Closed due to inactivity :new_moon::dizzy: