The Theatre Thread 🎭

In the (ex) staff thread we were talking about musicals and plays and stuff, and as far as I could find we didn’t actually have a place to talk about it. So, here it is!

Which plays/musicals have you seen?
What’s your favourite?
Which ones would you love to see?
What’s the nicest theatre (as in actual building) you’ve been to?

3 Likes

Which plays/musicals have you seen?
Too many to count.

What’s your favourite?
Anything from my local, Centrepoint Theatre

Which ones would you love to see?
I’d love to see Hamilton one day.

What’s the nicest theatre (as in actual building) you’ve been to?
The Bolshoi

Added more tags! (wink)

1 Like

dang, i’ve seen a lot over the years but some of the most important ones for me:

• Frankenstein with Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch (this is the play that got me obsessed with the cast switching roles)
  • A Midsummer Night’s Dream like three times (and performed in one recital version)
  • Salome (got to watch this one for free at a con and it was super neat)
  • Hamlet (which started a lifelong obsession)
  • Le Bourgeois Gentihomme (which made me see comedy in a new light)
  • The entirety of Mankai Stage (does 2.5 theatre count? idk if it does but this also started a lifelong obsession)

dangit, you’re asking me to choose between parts of my heart
i can’t choose ksdbvhdf

i’d love to catch anything Chekhov
or anything with Ian McKellen

Most plays i’ve watched have either been at random spaces or streamed (third world country things) so i don’t really have the experience to answer this

2 Likes

In person I’ve seen the tempest

I have no idea! I need to see more plays to decide

There was an LGBTQ+ production of midsummer nights dream which was in the kind of theater where the actors walk around with and interact with the audience, it was apparently amazing.

The one in my hometown which I won’t name but it is really nice!

3 Likes

Hmmm…
Little Shop of Horrors, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Young Frankenstein, The Lion King and Wicked.

2 Likes

I saw a recording of this one for my drama course last year!

If I remember correctly, I only watched the one with Benedict Cumberbatch as the monster but I thought the idea of the role-switch was really interesting and unique

2 Likes

A lot.

Most recently, I saw a play called Pressure and another called Things I Know to be True in Toronto and I also saw a production of Into the Woods done by a community theatre group in my hometown

Cats (for sentimental reasons) and RENT

I really want to see Six the Musical (it’s coming to Toronto next year and I’m so excited) but I would also love to see a production of Heathers or American Idiot

That’s a good question.

The Princess of Wales theatre downtown Toronto is really nice but so is the Majestic Theatre on Broadway

3 Likes

ooh i think i watched the opposite one! it was fascinating (and tbh it got me sold on Jonny Lee Miller as an actor because WOAH)
but yeah, it’s so interesting to me how changing the roles can create so much more nuance in the portrayals?
and how different actors can tell different stories for the same role because of that nuance too
i love it

ooooh i hope you get to see them!
Heathers is amazing

2 Likes

I know I have tickets to Six already because it’s part of the ticket subscription my mom and I have with the company that owns all the theatres in Toronto and I can’t wait

I love the soundtrack and I’ve seen the movie, so I have no doubts that the stage production is amazing

1 Like

I have a vague recollection of seeing a Junie B. Jones musical when I was maybe 6? As part of a school field trip.
I know with my family when I was younger (i don’t remember when, but I was fairly young) I saw Hairspray
I’m not sure if it counts for this thread, since it’s not technically a play/musical, when I was 7 I saw The Nutcracker on a school field trip.
And then a few years ago I saw Hello Dolly! because I was taking a class on theatre at the time and had to see a live production of a play/musical (just as I also watched a recording of a production of Oedipus)

There’s none in particular that I’ve been wanting to see specifically. I just like the theatre in general.

I’ve pretty much just been to local theaters, but they’ve been nice.

2 Likes

Oooh, currently in the process of planning to go to another musical with friends. Six the musical. There original west end cast will be doing shows in the Netherlands for a bit. Not necessarily the first musical I would have picked, but I’m still excited!

3 Likes

My Fair Lady and Hamilton !

Out of the two? Hamilton :sweat_smile:
But that doesn’t mean I don’t listen to other soundtracks from musicals I haven’t actually seen… heh

Uhh, well close by I’ve been eyeing some Into the Woods tickets
Lowkey wanna see Mean Girls tho :skull:

Orpheum Theatre

picture

I had (unknowingly) bought balcony tickets, and I’m pretty sure I was either the highest row up or second highest
And man, new fear unlocked :sob::joy:

1 Like

oooh how was it seeing those live?
(also which vers of My Fair Lady was it? bc the one i’m thinking about may not be the one you caught (bc the one i know is kinda old))

MOOD

oooh you should get those tickets!
i’ve heard it’s much much better than the movie adaptation

oh woah this is gorgeous

1 Like

Going to Wicked in West End tonight! I’m excited

3 Likes

You’ll love it!

1 Like

Sadly I’m getting sick rn, which also happened the last time I was going to a musical in London :sob:

1 Like

FIGHT THROUGH IT! BOLSTER YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM!

1 Like

I’m here, at the musical, but all I really want is my bed…

1 Like

You’ll be ok. Have you seen Wicked before?

1 Like

I’ve not actually

1 Like