The Ultimate Guide to Writing a Great Plot

Originally published at: https://shanniiwrites.com/2019/03/24/the-ultimate-guide-to-writing-a-great-plot/

Trying to write an amazing story? Here are the things that you need to think about if you want to make a great, interesting plot.

20 Likes

I’ll be saving this for later lol.
@ChaoticDeluge what are YOUR tips for writing a great plot- what are your preferences?

3 Likes

Yeah, Deluge! And what was the best tip you learnt from this list and why?

3 Likes

bookmark aaaand a bump

3 Likes

I need to remember the time part! Sometimes I have to constantly remind myself about the time of the story and the setting.

2 Likes

Bump ~

This is actually so helpful.

Strong beginnings in general and introducing things slowly aren’t really my strengths…I should work on that :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It takes a lot of work! I know a lot of people who start in media res because they believe it’s the easiest. I disagree :eyes:

2 Likes

Added blogs tag

1 Like

If the plot isn’t the best, then your amazing characters will have nothing interesting to do .

True, or I don’t know. Some plots are very basic, veryyy, and still the story is interesting somehow probably because of the characters. But I guess a basic plot can be a good plot!

Yes, a strong start is important, because like you said, why would anyone keep reading it otherwise?

Oh, interesting… I haven’t read about recalling four things thingy. I know that I usually present information in 3s, but it’s not something I always still to.

Yes, characters. That is what makes people love the Marvel movies. We care about the characters and their friendships seems so real, they have their personalities we can relate to them.

Oh with settings, I love how they made use of it in Game of Thrones. How the location of their upbringing shaped the people and the cultures and it’s so realistic with how it is in our world. Northerners is a bit more cold and closed where people from warmer countries seem a bit more relaxed and friendly.

Oh, character arcs… Only make me think of Jamie Lannister (sorry, I’m reading GoT now so you’ll see me doing lots of GoT related comments HAHA)

Oh Forrest :pleading_face: So wholesome, so pure, really no need to change. It’s similar to Paddington, who makes the characters around him change. They might be a bit naive, seeing the good in everyone and not being judgmental, but it’s so heartwarming and also heartbreaking when/if they get betrayed :sob:.

I hate Smeagol’s character arc, I really wanted him to be good and from the movies it all was about a miscommunication and Smeagol not realizing that Frodo betrayed him to save his life.

2 Likes

Syster, I really love you for how hard-out you go on your post, it’s such a joy to read! (wink)

1 Like

Hehe thanks… I guess :see_no_evil: It’s mostly just so that I don’t have to count to 5 or 50 :laughing: Oh, and thanks for reading them :joy: :dizzy:

I’m not proof reading them lol. Saw that I started everything with “oh” because that was what my brain thought

1 Like

HAHAHA.
I love that you start it with “oh”. Sort of makes it more natural.

1 Like

Starting strong is really important in getting someone interested in a story and showing why they should read it. Beginnings of the story should always show why the story should be read and show off the tone and style of the story. I loved the point about the ending, just because I never really plan that far in my stories. I think it’s definitely important for the story to have changed the character in some way and/or made a mark on their world. Asking about the point of the story is also a really interesting strategy for plots. I’ve seen it around, but I’ve never really tried it. I think that it’s definitely important to be able to identify your message so that your story can work towards it as well as possible, though.

Just added tags

Hey @Bloggers, need help with how to write an amazing plot? Maybe @RPers & @Writers might be looking for some help too!
Take a read of this and tell me what you think!

Remember that if you really enjoyed this blog, feel free to recommend it (it’s similar to liking it). This will help with it being higher in the results of search engines too.

5 Likes

oooo

1 Like

Really great tips! This helped me develop a deeper understanding of how plots work and let me be able to make the tuff decision of killing off a character ;-;
I’m gonna miss him, but I want the story to have a few more twists and turns than it does. Hopefully it should turn out okay!

1 Like

A strong beginning is really important, it determines whether the reader wants to read the story or not. As a reader, I stopped reading several stories that are rather draggy despite hearing from people that it’s going to be good later on. I just don’t have the patience to do so. Make the readers understand and familiarise with the plot, while keeping it intrigue. When I want to enjoy a story I want to enjoy it from the beginning to the end. Why should I wait until the good part of the story?

1 Like