Thoughts on Parents Checking Phones

Personally, I think it’s a little ridiculous. It’s an invasion of privacy.
Like, if you give your kid a phone, that means you should trust them to not do anything illegal.
There’s always the right to take away a phone, I get that, but you shouldn’t go through all their things.
Sometimes people use social media as a way to vent about their over-protective or annoying parents.

These are just my thoughts, though.
@Discussions what do you think?

7 Likes

I have friends who legit when they get home their parents take away their phones and go through them. There is no privacy.

2 Likes

See… now to me, that just ain’t right

2 Likes

NOPE. That’s wrong. There got to be a certain about of trust.

2 Likes

my parents always do this smh
it’s an invasion of privacy and just makes us hide everything from u

4 Likes

Right? My dad peaks over my shoulder and I tell him almost nothing, but my mom leaves it alone and I tell her almost everything.

2 Likes

Oh my god.

2 Likes

It just shows that u have to force trust between u and ur kids cos u haven’t earned any

2 Likes

Lmao I remember my parents looked through my sisters phone once and so I woke up to the lovely sound of yelling and my sister’s tears that Saturday morning :sparkles: it doesn’t make sense to me because you want us to trust you but then violate that trust,,, perhaps the absurd thing about that day tho was the way they tried to get her to converse with them casually again which oBVIOUSLY she’s not gonna want to do but okay

woah didn’t know we couldn’t do comma ellipses anymore ;-; it don’t give what it was supposed to gave

2 Likes

If there’s a legitimate reason to look through the kid’s phone, fine. But just as a one time thing because of a serious issue to come up.
Otherwise, no way. Definitely not.

1 Like

Well, I think the parents have the right to look in their kids phones,especially if they are 5-12. I know someone that was 12 who was talking to someone who was way older then she was and she was meeting him. I think it’s a privilege to have a phone.

Even with younger children it’s a no, you can always turn on safe mode or child settings and if you really want to check your child’s phone you really ought to ask yourself why it’s got to that point. For the longest time, I wasn’t allowed to take my phone to bed or upstairs with me in general because my parents wanted to keep an eye on me. To this day, whenever my 20 year old brother is on his phone when my Dad is behind him, my Dad is intently watching the screen. Whenever he goes behind me I hide my screen, even if I’m not doing anything bad because of this thing called privacy.

However, there has never been a time when my search history or messages have been checked, or my photos. My Mum has the power to but she doesn’t. If she notices a long distance text, she’ll just remind me that it costs her more which is fair enough!

Having a phone is indeed a privellage however, using that as an excuse to go through somebodies phone isn’t acceptable. You could also say “having your own bedroom is a privelage” as an excuse to burst in to your childs/teenagers room without knocking or even to remove the door. Privacy and trust are important as is education. I was educated to ignore or report inappropriate/unwanted messages (thankfully I never received any) but if I did I was taught to hit that block button. Not to engage. But children shouldn’t be punished for the disgusting actions of older people, who’s checking the older persons phone? Nobody. At any age you could be doing inappropriate things with a phone but constantly breaching your childs privacy isn’t the right solution to that for many reasons.

3 Likes

I don’t do anything illegal on my phone, but it would still make me uncomfortable if my parents went through my phone, because I don’t want them to read the messages between me and my friends and know what I choose to do online

1 Like

Her parent told her not to talk to him or even meet him, she choose not to listen. So, that trust was broken.

1 Like

Agh
ok
never go through your child’s phone. Simple.
If you think your child might be in a potentially illegal/dangerous situation involving their phone, TALK TO THEM about it and figure out the situation. then, if they give you permission, go through the necessary measures to report and remove the danger. Going through phones is an invasion of privacy, as a lot of intimate and private data is stored and shared on it. Just because they don’t want their parent reading their phone doesn’t mean they’re doing something they aren’t supposed to.

To use an example:
I don’t go home and report every detail of my conversations with my friends that day to my parents (my mother used to try and make me do this lol but that’s not the point)
The same thing applies on the phone. I don’t want to share all these conversations with you and there’s nothing wrong with that

2 Likes

I do agree that it is absolutely ridiculous! Especially if you’re an adult and they try snooping through your phone or anything that is private. I wouldn’t let anyone use my laptop because it holds all of my private information and the book that I am currently working on; I don’t want my family to know that I am writing an erotic thriller as they would get weird about it, same with anyone from the South Asian community as they think that is wrong for women to explore their sexuality. :roll_eyes:

But back to the topic, it’s ridiculous when parents give a teenager a phone, they have no right to invade privacy. If you trust your child, you shouldn’t be invading their privacy like that, this will cause even more serious consequences in the long run. I would understand because when I was around 13 years old, I was accused by relatives of flirting with a man that is old enough to be my dad (it was never true and the fact that they victim blame me, sickened me). I didn’t even flirt with the man, my uncle was stupid for insisting I should take the man’s number when I made it clear that it is wrong for me to do that. I had my phone taken away for a few hours and I didn’t even bother use my phone to text my classmates about homework.

When I was 17, my mum interrogated me over who I was texting! Whenever my phone vibrated, she tried to see who I’ve been texting and was like “Don’t get involved with boys”. That angered me so much because she couldn’t trust me when I was never about dating at that age. It was that one family friend who was so annoying that she kept texting me every damn minute which made me anxious as hell!
After I told my dad to tell his colleague to tell her daughter to not message me anymore. Good riddance!

Also when I was around 20 years old, my mum did the same stupid thing when I was a teenager. She kept grilling me over who I’ve been texting! Guess she didn’t like the fact that I was pretty popular.

1 Like

Added a tag!

1 Like

For emergencies and stuff, it’s fine. Like calling the police/hospital or smth else. BUT NOT GOING THROUGH OUR CHATS AND PICTURES.

Closed due to inactivity