(i hope it’s okay to put it in this section, I didn’t know where else to put it)
This has been in my mind for a while, and this blog post (and talking directly with Shannii) were the final push I needed to attempt this.
As some of you may know, I’m a literature student in university. This semester I’m not taking any classes, due to multiple reasons. However, I was allowed to join a class as an observer, and it’s extremely cool and interesting, I hadn’t been so eager and excited about learning in quite a while. So I decided to try to bring that eagerness and excitement to the forums too.
My idea would be making discussion threads about the things I have read (and will be reading) for class, one per topic so things are not too overwhelming for people who may only be interested in one of the things I’ll be talking about in class.
I would be making two threads a week until I catch up with my class in real time, then we would be having only one per week.
The threads would have my notes and impressions on the subject, some notes about the class discussion, and hopefully some discussion with you guys! So it would serve both as a sort of online notebook (hence the name) and as a small replica of the class with the discussions.
Here's the things we are reading for the course
- Homer, The Odyssey
- Derek Walcott, The Odyssey
- Edouard Glissant, “Reversion and Diversion”, “Sameness and Diversity”. Le Discours antillais
- Aimé Césaire, Cahier d’un retour au pays natal
- Susan Bassnett, “From Comparative Literature to Translation Studies”
- Leonardo Padura / Laurent Cantet, Regreso a Ítaca
- Toni Morrison, Home
- E. Said, “Reflections on Exile”
- Salman Rushdie, East, West
- Salman Rushdie, “Imaginary Homelands”
- V.S. Naipaul, A Bend in the River
- Homi Bhabha, “Of mimicry and man: the ambivalence of colonial discourse”
- W.G. Sebald, The Emigrants
- Susan Sontag, On Photography
- Leila Slimani, The Country of Others
if you wanna get the texts, DM me and I may be able to share some with you (my prof provides us with a lot of the texts but still, I do have some resources online)
so… is anyone interested?
(don’t mind me copying the polls from RPs)
- I am interested (tag me, please)
- I am interested (no tag)
- Maybe interested (no tag)