Tips For Giving Your Characters Secrets

Character secrets. They can provide so much in an RP. It can be a level of depth of why your character is the individual they are, it can be why characters have the relationship they have, and the secret can even play a role in the plot, impacting your character and even others. Some RPs even require or suggest to determine secrets for them as you create them, but for many of us, creating secrets can be a challenge.

Look to your character’s background.
First, is there something you’ve already planned in their background that they wouldn’t want people to know? Is there more to something included in their background of why something happened or did something happen differently than what is known of their background?

Look to your character’s family.
Did a family member have any involvement with something that your character wouldn’t want anyone to know? Are they keeping something secret for a family member? Is your character keeping something about their family hidden from their friends, or from even other family members?

Look to your character’s personality.
Could a secret be the reason for a certain personality trait? Did they do something that they kept secret, and it changed them for the better or worse? Is a different side of how they act kept a secret? How does their secret impact who they are as a person, and how does their personality impact their secrets? What kind of things would they even hide, and why?

Look to your character’s relationships.
This is the fun one that can really make things interesting in an RP. Plan with other RPers who’s characters know yours. Is a secret why the relationship is the way it is between two characters? Is a character hiding a secret to not change the relationship? What would the characters hide from each other, or what would they trust each other to keep secret? What secrets would they have together?

So, these are just some overarching tips on how to give your characters secrets. Please feel free to give your own tips below, I’m sure we would all appreciate all the tips we can get.

@RPers

12 Likes

OMG! I’m watching this for further tips. I despise coming up with secrets when they’re need in an RP. This will be so useful in the future. Thank you. (wink)

3 Likes

Love this! Needed it to because I suck at secret making :laughing:

3 Likes

Bookmarked, thanks.

1 Like

thank you, this is being very useful for a character I’m submitting rn :heart_eyes_cat::clap:

2 Likes

I like giving my characters a secret. Secrets can give them a trigger. For example if one of my character’s secret is that he has killed an entire village, so if something related to that is mentioned, he will panic and try to change the subject as quickly and bluntly as possible. :joy: