Tips on Revamping an RP or SG

Sometimes, an RP or SG—no matter how interesting it may have been—just closes out of various reasons. It’s hard to let these go, so it’s only natural that you want to make them alive again. But… how do you do that without letting history happen again? Well, you need to revamp them, of course! Now, even though it may sound easy, you still have to treat it as a hard obstacle to get through. You need to brainstorm ideas and make sure that if you put it up on the New Ideas Thread again, you won’t worry it closing any time soon! Here are some tips I have for you if you want to revamp your RP or SG!

• Introduce a New Concept. You don’t need to scratch your initial idea off, because that’s what your original RP/SG is made of. By this tip, I mean that you have to think of a new idea you can add on to your initial idea to make it more interesting and appealing to our roleplayers! Think of it like a once-trendy product: what do you do if it falls out of the charts? You reintroduce a new kind of it that will satisfy the wants of your customers! When you revamp and it stays the same, it might just risk the RP or SG dying out.

• Sometimes, especially if it’s fitting, starting some kind of sequel is a good idea to go to. This may not apply to every roleplay or story game out there, but a good way to introduce a new concept with it seeming natural is to make a sequel! This works well with reality TV show-inspired roleplays.
  • Cater to what roleplayers like you possibly want. When searching for an RP or SG, what do you usually look for? Some more spice? When revamping RPs and SGs, you don’t only want to win the old roleplayers you have back, but hope to attract some more. Some—if not most—roleplayers want RPs that have plots that move forward and develop. This connects with the first one, but thinking like you’re planning to release a product is actually a good thing to get into. Put yourself in the shoes of your possible participants: what do you want in a certain RP?

• Of course, you need to keep in line with your original roleplay or story game concept!
  • Don’t rush. Rushing things is a bad idea, unless you’re a procrastinator and it’s near the due date of your project. But this is the RP/SG section, there’re really no worries and there are no due dates. If you really want your RP or SG to take off, take the necessary time you need to plan everything out. Brainstorm ideas for how long you want. Honestly, that’s way better than anything else. You need to have your product around your hand so you won’t have problems in the future. Though you don’t really need to have it all organized—just concepts can do, because you might not know what will happen.

• Make sure your commitment won’t fade away anytime soon. For an RP or SG to keep going on, you have to keep an eye on it.
  • Ask others for opinions. Sometimes, you really don’t know what to do. The best course of action, whether you relate to that or not, is to ask others for opinions. Now, this may seem unusual and it can possibly spoil your RP, but it’s good to have some kind hands! After all, they’re roleplayers too and they know what they want to see. When introducing your idea, you can actually put a poll and see who might want to help you with your RP revamp.

• Communicate with your old RPers. It’s good to keep in touch with them—they might probably even be the best people you can go to, as they know your RP better than others. Ask them what you should improve and such. You can never go wrong with someone knowledgeable!

When either making or remaking an RP or SG, I usually try and treat them like a commercial product in the making. Things I always keep in mind are how to make it so that they’re interesting enough to “sell” and last long or for how long I anticipate it to be.

There are still more tips to add here, so feel free to give what you have in mind, @RPers! That would be a really great help for our community.

9 Likes

if i may add:

figure out what went wrong with the RP’s first run and find out ways to improve from there: this could technically be included in the planning stages, but sometimes we don’t know what went wrong, and in order to avoid that happening a second time, it’s important to pinpoint what we need to change / add / delete
thinking of ways to getting over those initial problems are one of the most important things if you want the revamp to keep running

7 Likes

Also adding:

World Building + Letting Others World Build:
The majority of the time there are a ton of great amazing role plays out there, the only thing holding it back is the lack of world building. What really draws people to a story is the characters, the leaders, the laws, the originality. If you plan to make a new world there should already be a foundation with it. I wouldn’t mind scrolling through a slideshow that talks about world leaders and famous schools, especially if everything is detail and creative.

This helps a ton when giving rpers lore and usually enhances everyone’s background and characters. So, if you’re thinking of revamping just add more story lore, and also let others create their own lore, “my character came from this rundown school called Marble Hills Academy, where nothing was everything we had.” Then you could add this school to the lore and maybe new rpers could put their character into the school, creating way more interesting dialogue.

3 Likes

Something else that may help is to give a twist to the new story. At this point you should alreafy know at least a little bit of what went wrong. But some people have already played part of the storyline and so adding new twists and a new storyline that works well with the original one will help keep it interesting for previous players and keep it fresh and playful at the same time.