To CC or Not to CC: The Middle Ground

To continue on from character customisation, here’s the point of using CC and ways to do it successfully.

Does it help you?

8 Likes

I definitely have opted for the middle ground in my stories.
I’ve never created a ‘reader-insert’ character. They are not blank slates nor are they characters with an undefined heritage, nationality, etc.
I have always given my characters a name, last name, distinct personality traits, and a nationality/ethnicity.
However, I do offer optional CC for the readers who want to change the character’s looks, with a disclaimer that the character’s nationality will not change no matter what. I think offering optional CC is a great idea for readers to still play as the character the author has envisioned, but by changing up their looks to the reader’s liking.

2 Likes

I hate it when customization is used with reader-insert or author-insert characters, but that’s more of a bad writing issue

I prefer using limited CC so that the characters all fall within a certain range of appearances and will look close enough to their intended appearance while still letting people choose an alternate feature if a specific one bothers them a lot

4 Likes

I get the purpose of CC, and at first it really excited me and every character in a story would look exactly like me and that made me a lot more interested in the story but now it’s just an overwhelming eh feeling.

Like now, I usually leave the character as is and I prefer stories where you can’t CC at all. At least with limited CC, you can be sure the character looks somewhat similar to how you had envisioned originally. With full CC, everything has to be vague because you have no idea how the reader made your character look.

3 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA! You did this? That’s hilarious.

I do the same. However, when I started creating an Episode story a wee while ago, I did add CC but just to the MC. What I did for fun was randomise their initial look, so those who don’t change them get a hilarious stupid look. HEHEHE

1 Like

:eyes::eyes::eyes: You have an episode story and I’m unaware of this???\??? Name give me name
Ooh I also do that sometimes in stories, make them look very strange or give them stupid or funny names like Puke or maybe Dumb Chick

2 Likes

Not completed. HAHAHA. I have many unpublished that I just haven’t motivated myself to do so. BAHAHAHA. That’s what I did with a dice to randomise it when I went through a phase of reviewing stories. Need to get back into that.

1 Like

Oof a shame a shame I never get to see a Cali Episode Original™ :pensive:
Ooh yeah I remember you used to have a thread for that on ef, it looked pretty cool. You should get into it when you’ve got the time

1 Like

Umm… no, you don’t?
Yeah, a few of them. Get into writing them or reviewing them?

1 Like

Sadness
But at least I get to read your tapas story :sunglasses:

Well I meant reviewing but like if you wanna write as well no complaints from me

1 Like

HAHA. Need to get back to writing that too.

Will add it to my list then.

1 Like

Si, your adoring fans await. :relieved:

1 Like

Weirdo. HAHAHA. Love you though.

1 Like

:joy::rose::two_hearts:

1 Like

Personally, I don’t usually like reading CC stories because I’d rather play through the eyes of how the author imagined the character in the first place. I tend to usually customize the character to look like me, and it’s weird when I don’t really vibe with the MC’s personality. I think Limited CC is pretty nice when I want to change some of the character’s features while still keeping most of their original features.

added a tag

For some reason I thought this thread was about close captioning

1 Like

I can understand that.

1 Like

Hey @Bloggers. This is a debate amongst @Episodians for years now, whether it should be in a story or not? Have a read of this and tell us what you think.

Remember that if you really enjoyed this blog, feel free to recommend it (it’s similar to liking it). This will help with it being higher in the results of search engines too.

2 Likes

yes if the character is flexible but in most cases nah
unless they ugly, then i should be able to fix a few things

1 Like