TRIGGER WARNING. Possibly psychopathic ex says he’s going to kill himself. Do I believe him?

So, my ex is known for lying, and he also might be a psychopath, and they are very manipulative. He told me exactly what he’s going to do, but I don’t think anyone who’d actually plan on doing it would tell anyone in case they’d try to stop them. Please, I need help. This may be an urgent matter.

7 Likes

Call suicide watch. Even if he’s lying, whatever. If he’s going to lie about such serious things than they’ll be able to help him.

4 Likes

hmmm… definitely manipulation
perhaps call the cops?
but do not give him what he wants
if something bad happens, it’s not your fault!!!

4 Likes

I’d call the cops, but I don’t know where he is…

1 Like

hmm dang…
could you ask subtly?
do any of his friends know?

2 Likes

Kinda too late. I bawled over the phone. I freaked, and wasn’t thinking…despite the fact I saw his score on a psychopath test he took…he got a 61.

2 Likes

I mean, I know the college, but that’s it. No, just me.

2 Likes

you might be able to use the college
it’s okay!! this is horrible and ofc you’d feel horrible

2 Likes

I was actually singing If I Die Young earlier.

1 Like

Yeah maybe you can contact the college

2 Likes

I’m afraid I’ll go mute and freak out. I’m not good with phone calls.

1 Like

I mean it’s better than something happening ig. I mean it probably won’t- but just to like be on the safe side.

2 Likes

I’ll try. The least I can do is check up on him daily.

2 Likes

I mean you probably shouldn’t do that if that’s not your responsibility. I mean I know nothing, but it’d be better to let someone of higher authority know this stuff so they can handle it.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I want to. I still care about him, believe it or not.

2 Likes

ok hi I was in a similar situation a few months ago, with a friend, who basicacally told me he would do that every time I made a mistake, or I was too blunt, or I told him I needed a break.
In all honesty, get out of the situation as fast as you can. He is NOT your responsibility. He is a manipulative b@st@rd and if you are unable to call on higher authority, you should leave him completely. I know you care ab him, but you’re only hurting yourself. Checking on him daily will only encourage him. Saying you’ll never leave him until he’s better ensures that he never will, just to keep you close

(read someone else’s post and just gonna add to this)
Do try to get him some help, even if he’s asked you not to. You are not his therapist, and even if he doesn’t understand that, he needs to get professional help, not emotional comfort from an ex.
However, like I said, don’t do any more than that. You can check in on him daily, but try not to allow him to suck you into his emotional mess. Personally, I would cut him off, but it’s up to you. He’s no longer in a relationship with you, and therefore you have no responsibility over him, especially if his threats are affecting your mental health.

6 Likes

I’ll just say this because it needs to be said
This is not necessarily lying manipulation
Some people actually do it and you don’t want to give a hand to that when you can try to help their problem be acknowledged maybe therapy a suicide hotline something, I really don’t know how to handle these things. But my point is don’t take it light handedly and then be surprised when he actually kills himself and there’s no way back

But either way, not your fault. Remember that

5 Likes

All I’m going to say to this is that anyone saying they’re going to kill themselves should be taken seriously. It’s never an easy thing to know how to react to, there are no instructions and even if there were, a person saying they want to end their lives will probably shock them out of your head making it hard to think logically.

So, I suggest reaching out to a trusted adult who can help, perhaps one of the teachers at the college or maybe if the college have a mental health/wellbeing team you can reach out to them.

If the worst case scenario does happen then you just need to remember it isn’t your fault. It’s not easy to know what to do. But someone saying they want to kill themselves should never be taken lightly. It’s easy to say “they’re being manipulative I’ll ignore them” but you can also distance yourself from the situation by contacting someone who you know can help without engaging with the person. But yeah, just remember it’s not your responsibility, nobody would blame you for not knowing how to handle it or not knowing who to contact. For future things though, it can be good to look into who you would contact.

8 Likes

Man, I’d totally talk to someone at the college, but I have serious anxiety regarding things like this…I guess I’ll just have to check up on him.

He ChAnGeD hIs mInD

3 Likes