Trump Administration Removes Healthcare Discrimination Protections

So I was reading this article by NPR, because I’d seen a headline about this the other day. Feel free to read it if you want, but I’ll be summarizing the important points here.

Essentially, the issue the that the Trump administration is reducing the meaning of “sex discrimination” so that it only involves discrimination on the basis of biological sex, rather than its previous terminology which protected people who identified as male, female, neither, or some combination of male and female.

So, what do you think of this policy? Do you think that doctors should be allowed to make decisions based on their personal beliefs and values?

8 Likes

Nope, no matter who you are you deserve to be treated. This is absolutely bonkers to think otherwise. Hopefully, doctors actually have more sense than this.

7 Likes

“Health professionals know they must base medical decisions on biology and science, not ideology,”

That’s such a backwards statement. Imagine if they flipped the scrip and denied a circumcision for a Jewish person because they need to base decisions off biology instead of ideology? Absolutely terrible :broken_heart::banana::sparkles:

5 Likes

rings the bigot alarm

2 Likes

Damn, this is bad…

1 Like

Personal beliefs and values shouldn’t interfere with people’s lives. When you work in medicine, your job is to HELP PEOPLE. We can’t afford “personal values” of transphobia over trans lives

6 Likes

Absolutely not. If you’re a doctor, you shouldn’t be allowed to let your personal biases affect your job.

(also, during pride month and in the middle of a pandemic. seriously.)

6 Likes

I sincerely don’t get it. If you’re in the medicine profession, you should want to help everyone no matter if their beliefs don’t align with yours. Your priority is always the patient. I spoke with my mom about this, she’s a nurse, and while she’s not 100% supportive of trans people, she finds this whole thing appalling. No one should be discriminated against in healthcare, no matter what.

4 Likes

I have several Trans friends and am queer. I’m disgusted.

1 Like

this is definitely not a good time to be seeing bigoted policies like this

1 Like

I saw something else that mentioned that it was also the anniversary of the Pulse massacre.

1 Like

Oh yeah…I saw that too :pleading_face::sob:

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve heard of that, but I’m not surprised that it gets even worse.

It always gets worse. No rest for the queer.

2 Likes

The Pulse massacre happened in 2016. I won’t go into detail, but there was a shooting at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Florida. There were a lot of casualties.

1 Like

It was horrible. It happened several years before I realized I was queer, though.

1 Like

bump… ok, I’m sorry, but this is the most ridiculous thing in a while. and of course it was all HiGh AnD mIgHtY tRuMp

1 Like

I think the proposal got blocked somewhere :thinking:

1 Like

Good

1 Like