Types of Biomes

Hello! :blush::wave:

In this thread I’ll be talking about the different types of biomes. But first, why don’t we go over the definition of the word “biome”? :eyes:

A biome is a biotic region characterized by dominant plant life, and it has a prevailing climate.

The major biomes of the world are the desert, taiga, tundra, savanna, grassland, temperate forest, and rainforest. I’ve explained them below. :smiley:

Desert

Deserts cover about 1/5 of the Earth’s surface. They can become very hot during the day, but get cold quickly once the sun sets. Some of them can reach temperatures of well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and then drop below freezing overnight. The amount of rainfall that deserts receive is less than 10 inches per year. Deserts occur at low altitudes, and animals and vegetation that live there have specialized adaptations that allow them to survive.

Taiga

The taiga is one of the three main forest biomes (the other two are temperate forest and the rainforest). Taigas cover former glacial areas. They are extensions of coniferous trees across North America and Eurasia, and they are present in many areas of Russia. The taiga also has the coldest weather of the forest biomes and has an extremely short growing season (about 3 months).

Tundra

The tundra is a “treeless plain” that is found in the Northern and Southern hemispheres. It is the coldest of the biomes - the average temperature is about -18 degrees Fahrenheit. Below the top soil, the ground is permanently frozen year-round (permafrost). The tundra has sparse precipitation, poor nutrients, and a short growing season. Most of the plants and vegetation here are small.

Savanna

The savanna is a rolling grassland with scattered trees and shrubs, and it covers about 20% of the Earth. It is a transitional biome, which means that it is in between two biomes. Savannas have two distinct seasons in regards to precipitation: the rainy season in the summer and the dry season in the winter. They also stay pretty warm year-round. The largest portion of savannas are found in Africa.

Grasslands

As you can probably guess, grasses are the dominant form of vegetation in the grassland. They are mostly used for agriculture and occur on all continents except for Antarctica. Grasslands receive between 20 and 25 inches of rainfall per year, and the temperatures can range from 0 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperate grasslands have warm summers and cold winters.

Temperate Forests

Temperate forests are found in many areas of the world. The amount of precipitation ranges from 28 to 60 inches per year. There are four distinct seasons: spring, summer, fall, and winter. There is a long growing season due to the three-month winter as well as a large amount of fertile soil.

Rainforests

Rainforests are found near the equator in South America, Central America, Central Asia, Australia, and Africa. The temperature remains constant - about 75 degrees Fahrenheit per year. The average amount of rainfall that rainforests receive is about 80 inches per year. It also has the largest diversity of plants and animals on the planet.

So, those are the major biomes of the world. You can go to Science for Kids: World Biomes and Ecosystems a lot of the info i provided is from there if you want to know more, and if you have any questions you can ask below.

Have a good day/night! :sunglasses:

~ :rose:

5 Likes

I thought this was Minecraft

1 Like

Lol, me too.

When I learned this at school, it was super complicated and boring. But your explanations are great! :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

This is so cool! Most of my biome knowledge comes from minecraft if I’m being honest :exploding_head:

@Students what are some interesting biomes you’ve read about?

5 Likes

Same, I always think of Minecraft when I see this word and I automatically think Mojang invented this term.

I don’t really read much about them, though, but they sure will be really interesting to learn about.

4 Likes

Sameee, I immediately think of minecraft and it actually helped me learn the names and how they’re like :star_struck:

3 Likes

definitely true, which is kinda shameful

1 Like

lol, same

OMG! This is sooo interesting. Thanks, Rose.

Do you think this is cool too, @AS007?

@Students Did you learn about this in school?

I know I did but one of my friends never really learned about all the differences

Lol I thought it’s about Minecraft

Yep I have learned that except Taiga and Tundra

Closed due to inactivity