Types of Erasers

Similar to the Types of pencils thread, this thread will be discussing the different types of erasers that can be used in art.

1. Gum Erasers
Gum erasers have a soft, gummy texture and crumble as you use them. They’re softer than the typical rubber eraser meaning that they’re better suited for use on a variety of paper types.

2. Rubber Erasers
Rubber erasers are the most recognizable type of eraser, commonly sold as pink erasers. They work similarly to a gum eraser but are firmer and have more precision.

3. Kneaded Erasers
Kneaded erasers are pliable and can be moulded, similar to stiff clay. Unlike gum and rubber erasers, they don’t leave little crumbs all over your page. They can be used to erase very fine details because they can be shaped into a point but can become sticky if held for a long period of time.

4. Pencil Erasers
Pencil erasers look like pencils but have a vinyl eraser as a tip instead of graphite. They can be used to erase very specific areas and can be sharpened into a point.

5. Vinyl Erasers
Vinyl erasers are very rigid and can even be used to lift ink from a page. However, due to their rigidity, they can damage the paper if you rub too hard.

If you want more detailed explanations, check out this webpage: click here

@Artists - which types of erasers have you used and do you have any tips regarding erasers?

1 Like

OMG! There are sooo many!

Kneaded erasers :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles:
Perfection. Only one I use for my drawing classes and charcoal

Okay… I didn’t know there are names for different types of erasers. I think I’ve used all of them at some point but mostly gum erasers :thinking:

@Artists What about you?

1 Like

I once found an awesome massive rainbow eraser that I love so much I never want to use it:

There are the soft white and pink erasers:

There are the erasers for lead and ink:

There are also kneaded erasers that help to dig deep into the grooves made by pencil lines:

And the versatile art gum erasers for colored pencils:

1 Like

Anyone else have a favorite eraser?

I usually use gum or kneaded erasers, it depends on the materials I’m working with tho… Like certain erasers work better for certain drawing materials