We Need to Talk About Copying and Tracing Art

When we host a competition on the Forums, we expect the work that you submit to be your own.

While we do understand that tracing can originally be a great way to improve, it is property theft to pass off a traced piece of art as your own.

Every time you do this and it slips past our radar, you are hurting the image of the Forums, as many people will blame us for any issues that come up.

I really don’t want to start punishing people for tracing or copying art, but it is against the law to plagiarise and I need to protect the Forums.

So from now on, we will no longer be giving people the benefit of the doubt. If your piece is too similar to something that we find, we will be disqualifying you from that competition. If it happens too many times, we will no longer accept your art in any competition going forward.

We don’t want to have to do this, but we will have to take action because this is getting absolutely ridiculous. As always, we will try not to make a big deal out of it, but I really genuinely think people think we’re stupid now. While it’s understandable for us to not know that it’s traced if we haven’t seen the art in the first place, it’s kinda insulting to deny it when we present the evidence right in front of you.

It is fine to take inspiration from other pieces of art and try to recreate a pose or two, but your work needs to be your own.

I am currently considering getting together a team of people to check for plagiarism in every single competition. They will be separate from the judges to prevent favouritism.

I seriously never thought it would get this bad and I am absolutely ashamed. I don’t want to have to get rid of all art contests entirely, so don’t spoil this for everyone else on the Forums.

If anyone has reason to suspect that someone has traced art, please come directly to one of the moderators.

Thank you.

@Announcements

53 Likes

I used a picture for inspiration. This is a video game character. That’s not what you meant by copying, is it?

3 Likes

I’m just making sure because I worked hard on that.

2 Likes

I depends. Did you reference the pose, or copy the style? Did you copy the character design, or were you just inspired by a part of it? We can’t really know without seeing the original image :banana::sparkles:

2 Likes

I copied what the character looked like. https://images.app.goo.gl/s3AyB1HdnYwMVhiu8

3 Likes

No if you said it was used inspiration you are just referencing a character which is a very common thing to do. If you want to know the difference between copying, tracing and referencing these pictures might help you understand.

12 Likes

But if I do a character from a fandom, I’ll always say that. I’d never pass off the idea as my own.

2 Likes

https://images.app.goo.gl/s3AyB1HdnYwMVhiu8

1 Like

Oh yeah after seeing this you just made fanart of a character which is not wrong either as you did give credit writing the orginal characters name in your drawing as well. You also changed the pose so it’s not a 100% copying.

4 Likes

This has been changed enough that the image you’ve created can’t really be thought of to be copied. Yes, there are small aspects of similarity but the image is different and you’ve made it your own.

3 Likes

Well, it’s not tracing, but if you call it an OC and/or try to sell it, it’s design theft. But if you just say it’s fanart and don’t try to make a profit, it’s totally fine! :banana::sparkles:

3 Likes

I do have a picture of an OC if you want to see.

1 Like

No, I don’t trace. I may copy a pose or something, but I’d never trace.

3 Likes

If you drew a videogame character, then it’s fanart, not copying. A lot of people draw fanart, just make sure to state which character that is and from which fandom.

2 Likes

Yep! I always do.

1 Like

This is My own, but I drew it in the Tim Burton style.

4 Likes

I think this will be a good way to deal with this. It is sad that this has to be the way but better safe than sorry at this point.

1 Like

That’s me and my ex

1 Like

Still important :eyes::sparkles:
(Added some tags :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:)