Weirdest English Words 🌑💫

I am sure there are a lot of weird English words out there! As in weird it means that the meaning can be weird, or the way we spell it, or even the way we pronounce the word!

For example, I know the word discombobulate. I am sure only some of you know what it means!
(Unless for some reason it is a common word and I didn’t know it :no_mouth:) Even though it is such a weird word to look at, and say, it has actually a very simple meaning, confuse!

Share any weird words you know with the rest of the forums!

6 Likes

I think the british word “bog” is weird. I mean i say it alll the time. But it can mean different things.

1 Like

English in general is weird :eyes::sparkles:

2 Likes

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - (Ironically) the fear of long words

3 Likes

:joy::new_moon::dizzy::black_heart:

It is a real phobia though!

(Greek fact: phobia is actually a Greek word, φοβία (fo-vee-ah)!)

1 Like

Weird English words —

• Kerfuffle
  • Hullaballoo
  • Cacophony
  • Ragamuffin
  • Whippersnapper
  • Gobbledygook
  • Gibberish
  • Poppycock
  • Discombobulate
  • Flummox
  • Curmudgeon
  • Lackadaisical
  • Woebegone
  • Lollygag
  • Frankenfood

:eyes::rose::two_hearts:

2 Likes

I always use that lol :grimacing::joy:

2 Likes

Weird words that I have no idea why people use, like ‘croon’. We already have ‘sing’. Why do people use ‘croon’?

mOiSt

1 Like

I’ve seen this several times in different lists of words people hate in the English language, but I still don’t get it. Why do so many people hate the word ‘moist’? I’m really indifferent about that word, but it seems that a lot of people don’t like it. Is it some meme or running joke from a movie, or something that just went viral?

1 Like

It’s just a gross word

Added some tags! :rose::two_hearts:

I always thought the word Onomatopoeia was weird. Even saying it inside my head is awkwarxly strange.

I use like a quarter of those words, but I’ve heard pretty much all of them

1 Like

Any other words you find weird or interesting?

One that I like is ‘pow-wow’… I’ve heard people use it when someone is having a gathering or a get-together but I believe it’s a Native American term for a party. I read about that many years ago, so I don’t remember if I’m correct.

1 Like

Groke - to look at someone while they are eating in hopes of them giving you a piece of their food. It’s weird that there is a word for that hahah

1 Like

Loofa

Spoon-

sorry spoon

3 Likes

@idiot.exe

1 Like

Balder dash was always a weird one

Poppycock

Locket

1 Like