"Well Loved": aging plush companions

If you’ve been on Twitter lately, you may have seen this exchange:

source

While the response is a truly beautiful quote and can be applied to many things in life, i want to keep this stuffed toy related for now.

I want this thread to celebrate people’s stuffed companions, no matter how old you are. Having stuffed toys and keeping them with you as you grow up is such a widely shared experience, i think we could all admit their importance in our lives.

So share pictures of your beloved plushies, make side by side comparisons of how they looked like when new vs now, share any stories about their impact in your life, i’m eager to read about it all.

Reading Recommendation:

Based on this, I want to recommend my absolute favourite children’s book: The Velveteen Rabbit.

Excerpt

If you have read it before, or if this passage inspired you to read it, please tell me what you think about it, I would love to discuss it.

5 Likes

Oh, yeah, I love this. I’ve kept so many of my childhood companions. They’re wholesome and give me a good feeling when I see them.

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I honestly have so many plush (I may be 19, nearly 20, but I still buy more often and I sleep with a bunch in my bed) and they provide soooo much comfort and happiness. Especially when I’m upset/stressed/not feeling well.
Especially a plush bunny that I’ve had since I was around 3-ish, which she is one of the most important pieces in my life. (And when I’m home she’s always by my side)

3 Likes

Awww, that’s so cute. I love that you still have her after all this time. Does she have significance with who gave her to you?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had her so long and can’t imagine ever not having her. My parents gave her to me (like they have with most of my other plush) and she was the one I bonded with most, and then they’ve treated her just as important as I have because of the bond I have with her.

2 Likes

Awww, that’s really sweet. And amazing that your parents recognise how special she it too.

2 Likes

Alot of people know about my love for my cuddly friends, but Nemo is is the one I’ve given alot of love to over the years, he may be floppy, faded and dirty but he’s still my bedtime companion and always will be

It’s a lovely story honestly

Also I’ll see about pictures

3 Likes

YES :sob:

Added tags (wink)

Same here, while a lot of them i had to get rid of due to allergies, i still keep a couple around, including the teddy i’ve had since i was 9 months old (and then bought more as an adult)
i love them

yeah you get it!
and there’s no age that’s too old for plushies in my opinion

that’s exactly how i feel about my Juandi, i’m glad i’m not the only one who feels that way

it is!

alrighty~ no pressure tho

about my own teddy

I have had my teddy bear since i was 9 months old. I’m a week away from turning 24 years old, and i still cannot sleep without him.
I didn’t get my teddy new, i… more or less “stole” it from my older cousin (again, I was 9 months old, I was just given a plushie and… kinda never let go of him. 23 years later, my cousins and i joke about it). Ever since I got him, though, he’s been a huuuge source of comfort for me. I took him in my backpack to my first day of school, I’ve always curled up around him whenever I’m upset in any way, I carry him with me for any trip (even weekend trips). I’m extremely attached to him and, while looking for pics of how he looked when brand new, i got so emotional that i had to go grab him and he’s now sitting on my lap as i write.
He’s now very “well loved”, or maybe falling apart, depends on how you see it. His stuffing is coming out from many points, the joints of his limbs are very weak, and a couple years ago, I had to dress him up with another toy’s pyjamas to help hold him together. I’ve considered taking him to a “Toy Hospital” but the only one that exists in my city has bad reviews and I’d rather not risk it. Either way, he’s my teddy and i love him very much (to the point my partner knows not even he can replace my teddy).

2 Likes

I have no idea where my childhood plushies went. I have some now, though.

Awww, that’s sad. An allergy to dust?
Least you still have the most precious, right?!

Awww, this is such a magic story!

late af (sry i’m just checking the threads i had put in a “reply later” mental folder)
yeah i’m allergic to dust lol, even now, i can’t be around dust without my rhinitis going wild for days after that
but yeah i managed to preserve the most precious ones

i’m glad you think so ;w;

Runny nose٫ right?

1 Like

yup
(except for me it’s chronic lol)

1 Like