Well-Written RP Characters

Well-Written RP Characters

I’m sure everyone has wondered how to properly create characters with room for character development. Here’s how I do it. I’ll cover the essentials first, most RPs expect basic information (name, gender, age, etc.), a biography, and a personality.

Now, identificational information holds a relatively important role, it includes their name, age, gender, sexuality, and face-claim. ID determines how your character’s first impression will be, which is why it’s beneficial to write ID, first.

For biographies, I like to start with a set of points to navigate easier. I build biographies from 3 categories; childhood, parents, childhood extended (high-school/adulthood).
Childhood revolves around their parents, their friends, and major events while they were a youngin’. What affected your character? What was important to them? What were they like as a child?
Parents is where we go deeper. Who were their parents, how did their financial position affect their child, how much attention did they give their child; how did the parents affect the child?
Childhood extended varies on what the RP really is about. Any major event happened in their high-school? Grievances, school, work, how are they managing? Take it all into account.

Personality! Here’s where people go wrong. Not everyone needs to be exceptionally bad or good, it’s not all black and white, there are middles! People can be chaotically-good, lawfully-evil, anything is possible! And the way to do this is through…

Quirks! And! Flaws!

No one is perfect, RP characters certainly shouldn’t be. They need to be just as human as you. Without flaws, there’s nothing to build on, making character arcs impossible. Characters need to improve (or worsen, hehe) during the RP.
If you’re struggling to think of flaws, here’s a helpful website.

Now, after you’ve thought about flaws, think about how events in the character’s life really changed them. How did their personality morph throughout their childhood? Always ask why. Why are they naïve? Why are they closed-off, what made them this way? And that’s all there is!

Thanks for reading, let me know if you have any questions! <3

16 Likes

Bookmarked, I need this for my Mystveil characters

1 Like

Beautiful Topic :hibiscus: :sparkles:

Bookmarked!

1 Like

For me, if I don’t already have an initial idea, I come up with at least five adjectives for character, usually through adjective generators or sometimes user suggestion. Using those adjectives, I look for a fitting FaceClaim, which then sparks ideas for their backstory.

1 Like

Well written characters have backstories that make sense and follow a linear timeline as well as put together in a neat and concise way. Not doing so confuses not only the reader but the creator- because if you’re jumping all over the place with where there from how will you ever get solid where they’re going? Often you want to make a rough list of what’s going to happen in your characters backstory, put them in chronological and sensible order and begin writing off that. It’s okay to rewrite backstories and have drafts, that makes them more rounded. Personally I don’t rewrite backstories because I don’t have time for them but it’s important to be in an order that makes sense, you know?

5 Likes

Just adding a tag

1 Like

Hey @BlueRoyalty people, are there any characters in your RP that you think is really well-written? Like, they have a brilliantly-formed personality and backstory that makes sense and makes the character well-rounded?

2 Likes

No.
Tun-tanananananana-tun

Hey! Sorry I know it’s been a couple of days since you sent this but I just haven’t had the time to write up a response. But there are a few people I want to mention that just have some amazing characters I look forward to reading! This is just a FEW of them - I love all of my @BlueRoyalty fam though :slight_smile:

• @eclipseis besides being an absolutely amazing RP creator - your characters are top-notch. I know we all love to poke fun at how evil both Delilah and Calen are but It takes work to create such “awful” characters with true depth. Your characters aren’t evil with zero purpose - they had events in their life that led them there and backstories that truly build them up and amplify their personality. So thank you for just being amazing and writing for some of my favorite characters!

• @Littlefeets Gahh I don’t even know where to start with your characters. I LOVE THEM. They are all so different from one another. No one could mistake Reina, Jezebel, and Maverick from one another because they all have subtle differences that make them great. I can’t wait to see what else you come up with for those three.

• @astxrism Elodie and Dorian have a classic sibling dynamic with a twist and I always love writers who take on the challenge of doing siblings and honestly, you do it with grace and talent that I admire.

And to the rest of Blue Royalty; thanks for being amazing creators! I’m glad I had the opportunity to use that RP to meet you/re-meet you and fall in love with all of your characters.

6 Likes

hugs

2 Likes

Awww Thank you! I still feel like I’m some ways they’re still too similar to some characters from other RPs, but I did my best to make them different so they’d stand out from each other.
And I love Daniel and Candice! They are such awesome characters!

1 Like

I thought they were quite bad but you just made my day!! Thank you :pleading_face:

1 Like

No you’re going to make me cryy… :pleading_face: Thank you so much. I have always loved you as a roleplayer and all your characters (from the first roleplay we were both in, with Alex and Nick Sterling and Katherine Hart), and seeing how long and detailed and amazing your posts were (and, of course, still are) pushed me to write more than 4 lines. You have the most creative ideas for secrets and characters, I have no idea how you do it!!

3 Likes

Awe my babies Alex, Nick, and Katherine :pleading_face: I definitely miss them. But Jordan will kind of be like Nick in a way - if you think about it.

Oh shush - have you seen yourself with secrets! You are absolutely amazing and I’m so glad we can continue to RP together <3

Lots of love!!

1 Like

added the #roleplays tag

Trauma should not be what makes a character dimensional, otherwise it’s not well-written.

2 Likes