What are Screentones?

Screentone

Screentone is a technique for applying textures and shades to drawings, used as an alternative to hatching. In the conventional process, patterns are transferred to paper from pre printed sheets, but the technique is also simulated in computer graphics, notably in Flipnote Studio and Macpaint.

A screentone saves an artist’s time by allowing quick application of textures to line art where a hand-shaded area would not be reproduced in a timely or acceptable manner. Much like halftone, the size and spacing of black dots, lines, or hatches determine how light or dark an area will appear.

Example of how screentone looks like on a sketch vs when it’s removed.

So @Artists

• Do you like screentones?
  • Have you ever applied screentones to any of your arts?
7 Likes

so thats what it is?!

i knew about hair thingies~

1 Like

Same I’m now learning about it actually through research :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh I just thought it was shaded like a normal drawing lol-

2 Likes

yeh and peeps were really motivated to do all those dots

1 Like

5 Likes

no that was handmade

1 Like

I know

I was adding to your joke

1 Like

what joke? i was adding on to what you said about what you thought people did~

1 Like

I was going off of the “motivated to make all those dots” thing

1 Like

thats what i thought people did >.<

1 Like

Same lol

1 Like

I’ve only used a grain screentone to add an effect, but I’m not sure if it counts :eyes:

3 Likes

Yes sm good in sketchez

No bro i suck at it but also my art style just wont fit it tooosm

2 Likes

Screentones actually seem like a clever idea, if I understood this correctly :thinking:

@Artists Do you use screentones in your drawings? Can you show more examples to help explain them?

1 Like

If by screentones you mean the patches of dots and patterns used in grayscale manga…then, yes. I’ve used both the traditional stick-ons that you have to slice into shape with craft knives…and digital versions that emulate it. It allows for faster page turn-out since it doesn’t require full color.

1 Like