What Different Colours Symbolize

Different colours can evoke different emotional reactions from people. Quite often in art, colours are used for a specific reason, usually the colours are meant to convey a message from the artist. Here’s a list of different colours and what they symbolize.

Red

• Danger
  • Passion
  • Excitement
  • Energy

Orange

• Fresh
  • Youthful
  • Creative
  • Adventurous

Yellow

• Optimistic
  • Cheerful
  • Playful
  • Happy

Green

• Natural
  • Vitality
  • Prestige
  • Wealth

Blue

• Communicative
  • Trustworthy
  • Calming
  • Depressed

Purple

• Royalty
  • Majesty

Pink

• Feminine
  • Sentimental
  • Romantic
  • Exciting

Brown

• Organic
  • Wholesome
  • Simple

Black

• Sophisticated
  • Formal
  • Luxurious
  • Sorrowful

White

• Purity
  • Simplicity
  • Innocence
  • Minimalism

If there’s any colours or meanings that I missed, feel free to add them!! Are there any meanings that surprised you?

12 Likes

I love this! Of course, there are other things, like how different colours are associated with different seasons, festivals and holidays!

In my culture (Indian), red is the colour women wear for their weddings and we wear white for funerals!

5 Likes

For some witches or Wiccans think purple is beauty, wit and nobility

5 Likes

@Discussions :eyes:

5 Likes

Red is Christmas

4 Likes

It’s less the specific colors, more the color pairings. Each color does have its own various meanings, but without the subject matter or a pairing taken into account, the possibilities are limitless for what it could represent.

Just to list a few:
Red and black combined, tends to have an evil connotation.
Red and Green, or even Red & White, Christmas, which brings joy.
Oranges, purples, black are Halloween.
Black and white, opposites that can be either a sense of wholeness and balance, or just simplicity.
Virtually any pastel colors, think Easter or young children.

4 Likes

You know I never did associated pink with excitement, I’ve always found it to be quite a calming colour, similar to blue actually

I watched a colour in film youtube video a while back and it explained how white can mean sterile and/or cleanliness, which is why it’s used in some dystopian movies.

Accurate.

Added “art” tag!

1 Like

Yum. :yum::white_heart:

I associate pink with tasty.

Black actually use to be used for weddings. It’s an old tradition from the past. I can’t remember exactly where I read this but it was a strange fact to stumble upon. Also, White was used for funerals in the past as well. When I say the past I mean like hundreds of years ago. This is just a strange facts that found.

2 Likes

Also, don’t forget that different shades of each colour will give a whole new impression o the readers!

For example, if bright red represents danger, light red would give someone a whole new impression!

2 Likes

Tag added :innocent:

Also, I do agree with that! Shades matter too!

2 Likes

Red can also symbolise heat/warmth and blue can symbolise coldness. :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

Do you think about what a colour symbolises before you use it in a drawing? :eyes::sparkles:

1 Like

Probably why I don’t like yellow. Too bright…

Love that

@Artists Do you think about what the colours symbolize while using them?

Closed due to inactivity