What do you struggle with most as a Writer?

Writing transitional scenes. It kills me and slows me down so much.

1 Like

:rofl: And even If i do plan, once I am into the story, I get a new idea and abandon this one and start working on a new one. It’s really annoying.

2 Likes

That is the most relatable thing ever. Like, there’s some particular scenes I am excited to write and I just want to get to that part and skip the in between thing even though I know I’ll have to write it too.

1 Like

That’s my problem too. :rofl:

Same. I sometimes feel like that too. Guess it might just come with practice?

4 Likes

How to end a scene without it being too choppy or unrealistic. I don’t want to end my scenes too abruptly but I also don’t want to fill them with too much unnecessary dialogue.

Also, sometimes I get these great dialogue ideas in random moments but I don’t write them down right then and there, and so by the time I sit down to write, the dialogue just doesn’t flow that well.

And there are just those moments where I keep getting distracted and start doing other things, like checking the forums, when I should be writing.

5 Likes

I do this all the time! I have a bunch of incomplete stories

1 Like

Same. I just want one story, just one of mine to be completed but guess I’ll have to wait.

1 Like

Same, same and same.

I can’t offer you a solution for that if you’re an episode writer but I always do that. So there’s these writing Sprint websites where you have to write with a timer. It’s an amazing practice in terms of productivity.

1 Like

This for sure. It always sounds terrible to me!

And definitely getting the motivation to write. I get so excited about an idea and then I can’t get it down on the page fully!

Speaking of, I need to finish my post on magic systems :grimacing:

2 Likes

I am actually waiting for it. I am writing Fantasy for the first time and pointers would definitely help. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Really? Yay! That’s awesome! It’s going to be a long one! I’d say like 10,000 words. It’s a good thing I have a contents page!

2 Likes

Yeet! Can’t wait! :crazy_face:

Like a lot of people, I struggle outlining and finishing a whole project. Cookie’s post on writing has helped (especially with the character questionnaires), but I’m a perfectionist so I don’t want to start writing something I can’t see all the way through and I take forever getting it right…

Those of you guys struggling with characters (@ThatRandomCaraPerson and @DaddyIssuesWriter) I’d recommend the surveys! I stared at them blankly for a while but using some distinct traits from my friends (or even stereotypes like a hippie/vegan, a frat dude, girly girl, tomboy, etc) and then I went from there, developing family history/backstory so they become distinct people from the MC and each other. But I’m not an expert, so this is just my two cents :grinning:

4 Likes

i give up wayyy too easily, i’ll do like one or two chapters before i lose motivation and just start a whole new story. if i’m stuck at a scene or don’t know what to do next i literally just give up :pensive:

2 Likes

That is so relatable.

Though now that I outline everything before starting, nothing too detailed - just the major points, I find it much better.

3 Likes

Exactly. I’m too creative

2 Likes

So, they may seem 100% random, but, I can’t finish a story because they only thing that interests me, is changing the characters, then when I know I have to write something around 400-500, I instantly give up. :skull:

2 Likes

I get like that too. Right now I’m trying to make myself work on my story this weekend to get this done.

1 Like

And that can be as big a problem as not being creative at all.

2 Likes

Why is that so me? I just don’t do short stories. I can’t. Well, I can but I just don’t like to.

1 Like