What do you think about English becoming the default language

So, full disclosure, I hate the English language. I’m a native speaker, but it’s so complicated. Look at yacht, like who even came up with that garbage? It doesn’t even sound like it should and the word itself makes no sense.
Not only that, but it’s a bad default language. It rips out so much culture. Not only that, it’s just the knock off version of Latin, French, Spanish. There’s probably more, I just can’t remember them right now so I’m sorry :sob:

Anywho, questions:

• What do you think about the English Language?
  • What are some interesting quips about the English Language?
3 Likes

I am also a native speaker, and I find it stupid. Like pneumonia??? Why isn’t it spelled like “Nemonia” or something.

3 Likes

because the english likes to throw in random p’s. Like psychiatrist, or psyche, or… I don’t know I’m running out of examples but none of it makes much sense. And how is “y” a vowel but also not at the same time? Does that really make sense? And why are vowels so important anyways?

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered the same thing.

2 Likes

English is definitely a weird language for sure. I mean, there are plenty of synonyms for one word, but we only use like 1 or 2 of them. :thinking:

1 Like

it’s almost as though they made up half of the language in the moment so they could feel superior to whomever they were arguing with. AND WHY DOES WHOM EVEN EXIST.

1 Like

Or pterodactyl or phlegm

2 Likes

thank you
no idea what phlegm even means

1 Like

OMG, I’ve always wondered this myself! They say you’re supposed to say “whom” instead of “who”, but why? The word itself sounds grammatically incorrect and doesn’t sound like it belongs in the English dictionary.

1 Like

Who heard the word "pterodactyl " and said “Let’s put a P in front”

2 Likes

Phlegm is another word for mucus, that snot-like substance that can be found in your throat and such.

1 Like

And whats the point of spelling words with a silent letter??? If you’re not going to sound out the letter in the word then why is it there?

2 Likes

I think whom is to be used when you don’t know who the person/subject is. “Whom are you?” For example. At least I think that’s what it’s for. It took 20 minutes of googling to find out. I just don’t understand why it even happened. There was no reason for it, it’s useless. Barely anyone knows what it means.

that’s how you spell it? I thought it was just… flem? You know, how a normal person would spell it.

RIGHT?? And why is there “ph” and not just “f” when “f’s” sound is the exact same as “ph”?

2 Likes

Yes! It’s almost as confusing as “ai”, “ae”, “ay”, and “ey” sounding the same as “a”. Same with “ai” sounding the same as “i”.

1 Like

It’s funny, because most ‘native speakers’ complain like this because they don’t know where the different parts of the language originate from :thinking: Most of the weird parts of english actually are like that because that was what they were like in their original languages, like how goose is geese but moose isn’t meese because the words come from two different languages

If anything, English is one of the simpler languages out there. It doesn’t have very many irregulars (i’m looking at you, spanish past participle), it’s one of the only languages without gendered objects, and it’s read left-to-right like most languages.

2 Likes

The English language creators also took words from other languages and called them “their own.” That’s LITERALLY colonising.

1 Like

That it’s fine? A lot of languages branch off Latin and they are all different in their own ways, no reason to hate on them.

English when we talk in so is neutral so the communication (the real explanation of your sentence) comes from the emphasis in your tone, that’s what makes it unique, especially from French because when you speak french, it’s all more blunt in a way?

I think you have to understand the English is actually very complex and some of the words they use are French or Spanish, old Latin, just pronounced in an English way.

All words and the way they are spelled all make sense when you look at them. Letters are silent in many words and maybe they could be spelled differently but at this point, it’s just apart of the language and takes effort to understand, especially when learning the language, and no one has time to change all those words to make them make sense. There is just no reason.

It may be confusing but again, the words stem from when it ws created, so you never know how they pronounced it before, language just as anything of culture evolves through time.

2 Likes

Just adding a few tags.

1 Like

bruh :joy:

Most languages come from other languages. Ever heard of the ‘romance’ languages? Germanic? English is a Germanic language, which means it’s derived from proto-germanic languages, just like German and Dutch.

i know. i’m not actually that stupid.

1 Like