What does "childish" mean? Is it positive or Negative?

So, in my experience, being childish is when you like to tease someone to the point they get angry. Trust me. It’s really aggravating when this happens. Also, not accepting that you did something wrong after you have been told many times that it was your fault. Adults accept those facts; childish adults do not. There are two types of childish adults, the one I described above and the other is the adult who keeps doing pranks, going out partying, not taking serious moments when the situation calls for it. Now, I’m not saying that those traits are a bad thing or a good thing. It just depends on what the person does around you. We all have different points on what “childish” behavior is.

What does “childish” mean to you? Is it negative or positive for you?

@Discussions

2 Likes

“childish” has a double meaning for me lol
the first is simply immature. lacking maturity
the second is more complex. things like innocence and a sense of being carefree fall under this bracket. I can be quite “childish” , in the way that I won’t act my age. I am extremely mature, don’t get me wrong, but when I relax, I’ll sing and dance and climb trees and generally just act like a child, according to everyone around me.
I also get called childish a lot, but that’s because that is what people’s stereotypes of autistic traits are :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I think a lot of people mix ‘childish’ and ‘playful’.
Childish I would say is when you just push things in a way childs do (throwing a tantrum, just pushing buttons on people and continue when asked tk stop).

1 Like

I can see where that can get misrepresented as childish. It’s a hard concept for people to grapple with because it is a stereotype that has been around for a long time. I feel like people should at least give people some space if someone starts acting like this because you don’t know if it’s like you case autism or they are actually being really immature. This happens because people do not think to look up the differences between the two. It’s a tough situation but you seem to be doing well from what I can tell in our exchanges.

Yep, I agree with that.

There’s a difference between “childish” and “childlike”.
A childish person is immature, and they don’t use their common sense in most situations, often acting annoying and bratty.

A person who is childlike is usually innocent, playful, and endearing. Sometimes I can be a bit childlike. because I find it easy to relate to young kids and teens, and enjoy having fun like a kid in certain situations.

3 Likes

Those are good points!

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity