What happens when you don’t do your homework?

When I was still in school, some teacher took homework really seriously and it had some bad consequences when we forgot to do our homework. For example, my maths teacher made us do the homework on the blackboard in front of everyone else to prove to us that doing the homework is useful (it wasn’t) :sweat_smile: Now at university, nobody cares if I do my homework or not. If I don’t do it, I won’t get a good grade, that’s it. Nobody tells me to do it or how important it is :joy:

What happens when you don’t do your homework?

5 Likes

If you do your homework, you get a +
If you don’t, you get a -

Three minuses and your grade is lowered by one, six minuses and your grade goes two grades lower, etc. So homework is very important in my school.

1 Like

some teachers don’t care at all, some give - and once i got an F :grinning:

1 Like

You get a streak |, if you get two, you’ll get an extra exercise, three means detention, if you get five you get a “Verweis” (basically a notice that you could get suspended from school in the future), some teachers also give a “Hinweis” if you forget it 4 times, which is basically a warning that you’ll get a “Verwies” the next time you forget your homework :eyes::sparkles:

Do you think that schools should be more/less strict with homework? :eyes::sparkles:

1 Like

Everyone else is talking about high school, so I’ll talk about university :+1:

University doesn’t care if you do your homework or not. Your grades might suffer, but to them a pass is a pass. If you fail, you repeat and you pay them again. They’re a business so they’ll happily accept your money.

However, if you fail too many subjects, you may be subjected to academic probation. This has happened to me, but I got it reversed due to extenuating circumstances and had my fails wiped from my record.

Fails and Withdrawns also show up on your transcript and can affect your ability to find a job after graduating (particularly in competitive job pools)/can affect your eligibility for post-grad study since many post-grad programs will require a certain WAM or GPA.

TL;DR: Nothing much will happen unless not doing your homework leads to you failing.

1 Like

I don’t have homework really but like you said my grade gets worse… although I don’t know if it can get worse. :joy: I’m not studying for good grades, I have too many interests on the side of studying.

1 Like

You get a zero and your grade goes down :eyes::eyes:

And if you have too many missing assignments the teacher will assign you to Success (which is a period where students can get help from teachers if they need it) and maybe contact your parents :eyes::eyes:

2 Likes

This happens :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Depends on the teacher. Some teachers doesn’t care if you do your homework or not while others will keep an eye on those students. They can’t really control us it’s more of a voluntary action. Doesn’t really affect our grades (directly) but you’re on the teacher’s bad side so…

1 Like

Bump

Homework was pretty much important back then in my school and you’d usually get punished if you don’t do it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

uh your grade goes down, but I miss homework all the time/turn it in late so it’s not that big of a deal :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well then I won’t know what is going on and I will fail class. I can’t miss anything or else I will be lost forever.

1 Like

In uni nothing would happen it was more just that you didn’t get feedback which is reallyyyy important for improving

1 Like

You’ll get low grades :eyes:

Also there’s a rule where if you don’t turn in at least one assignment every 2 weeks, you’ll be dropped from the class

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity