What If English Isn’t Your First Language?

Many of our users don’t have English as their native tongue, and even those who do, don’t think they’re particular well-versed. This blog has suggestions for all.

What do you think, has it helped you? How so?

10 Likes

A lot of people probably don’t know, Shannii herself technically isn’t a native English speaker, lol

3 Likes

Oooh… (raises hand and jumps up and down repeatedly) I know this, I knew this.

3 Likes

Indeed, hehe

1 Like

There are a lot of smart points in this blog post I’ll remember.
My first and main language isn’t English, even though I learned English since a very young age and I’m technically fluent in it.
My main problem is that the people around me don’t speak English and it’s not a language I use in my daily conversations, what ended up in me having an accent which I didn’t have a few years ago.
The main use of English I have for now is on here, and that’s why my writing is technically better than my speaking, even though I’m fluent in both

3 Likes

That was my first blog post and it’s a year old now :sob:
Honestly, when I wrote that I wasn’t sure about the “Think in English” Trick but friends told me that it works really well, so I added it for others to try as well. If it works for my friends, I thought it might work for others here too. But lately, I’ve written and read a lot in English and I notice that I started thinking in English as well sometimes. And it really helped me with my English because I learned to use other words for stuff that I don’t know the correct one for :smile_cat:

4 Likes

Lol, mine isn’t.

3 Likes

Cool. What language is? Have you read the blog post?

3 Likes

Kannada.
I’m gonna read it later.
I have class, hehe.

5 Likes

I keep getting confused because of Canada, lol.

5 Likes

Oh, nice. That’s closer to me that Europe or America.
Cool. Great classwork!

3 Likes

Just adding some tags

2 Likes

If English isn’t your first language, you go on Duolingo right? And get a spellchecker to check your work :sunglasses::wink: (it’s a bad joke, feel free to give a pity laugh)

Umm bump?

2 Likes

Kannada or Canada?
Wait there are two?! :exploding_head:

4 Likes

BEX

4 Likes

It’s a South Indian language sm

3 Likes

LMFAO!

4 Likes

HAI :wave::smiley:

Oh so not a country! Okay :sweat_smile:
Your English is really good tho :pleading_face:
sorry :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

hi…
:))

BEX

lmao thenks

3 Likes

I THOUGHT WE ALREADY ESTABLISHED IM AN UNEDUCATED SOUL :skull_and_crossbones: IM SORRY!! :confounded::joy:
Welp that’s my cue to leave
:running_woman:t2::dash:

3 Likes