What is PPSA and how it works

I came across my school talkin bout PSSA?

PSSA

The PSSAs, which stands for Pennsylvania System of School Assessments, are given each spring to students from grades 3 to 8 in Pennsylvania to test areas of mathematics and English language arts. Students in grades 4 and 8 take an additional assessment in the sciences.

Overall, there are three types of questions that students will come across in the PSSAs: multiple-choice, open-ended, and selected response. Multiple choice questions provide a prompt and then have a student choose one answer. Open- ended questions ask the student to answer the prompt and explain their answer in their own words. Sometimes students will be asked “why” in their prompt to support their answer. Selected-response questions have multiple parts for just one question, so students need to use context clues to answer the questions about the passage they just read.

@Students have you took them our what? I have not token this this year because I’m not.

But couple years ago I did.

1 Like

We used to have PARCC i think now it’s I-ready

1 Like

Moved to school and added tags

In my school in Croatia we had a thing like it. Actually we have a thing like the SATs called Matura where you would be tested on subjects of Math, Croatian and a foreign language either only English or English and German (Because in my school there was a posibillity to study only one if you were in the business classes or three, german, english and latin). I don’t know if Latin was on matura becuase I only had English. Well, based on the grade you get on those you can apply to colleges and your grades in the subjects that matter to that college will matter during the aplication and if they put you into the list. Then there’s a few subjects you can add to your matura, like physics, italian, chemistry, etc etc and you’d do it if a college says that a some sort of percentage of that test is important for them you know you’ll be in the running if you take these tests and pass with a good enough grade.

But there were some mentions of a mini matura while I was young but I never had it. It’s like the same thing as a matura but for end of the 8th grade in order to see if you know enough. Maybe it was used to apply to high school I don’t know, but I know it was talked of.

The questions in a Matura are almost all multiple-choice except maybe in the essay part of the Croatian one where you had to write a full essay on the piece of text provided for you. The text would be from a big list of books and stuff that you would learn about in school and would be asked to write a book report about.

We have something like this in my province, called EQAO

It’s a math and literacy assessment and you take it once in grade 3 and once in 6 - I didn’t write it in grade 6 because the teachers went on strike :sunglasses:

In grade 9, EQAO only tests math because in grade 10, we write a literacy test, which ultimately becomes a graduation requirement

Aside from the grade 10 literacy test, EQAO is pretty pointless

The teachers make a huge deal about it because how the students do reflects directly on them and the school which just ends up stressing the students out