What is the official language of your country?

noooo don’t apologise
you know me bro i’m always ready to absorb information :3

1 Like

xhshxhzyx that’s trueee thank you fra ^^

1 Like

Fun fact about this: New Brunswick is the only province that has both English and French as its official languages. The others have one or the other, but not both.

2 Likes

New Zealand has THREE OFFICIAL languages: English, Maori, and NZ sign language!
Yes, yes, these are actually all official languages of this wonderful country, and it really makes me proud.

2 Likes

ooooh nice!
do you know all three owo?

2 Likes

I wish. Only one fluently. I know a bit of Maori but not much, and a bit of the basics in sign. Though it is incredibly amazing to watch a national press conference from the Prime minster (like we had during Covid last year) and seeing a person stand to the left signing her speech.

2 Likes

that’s so neat

2 Likes

Yeah. Though we still aren’t that perfect, I think we do a pretty good job to respect our native language/culture, as well as treat everyone who has chosen NZ as their home equally. A perfect example of the latter, was when we received our first (and only) terrorist attack. It was one pathetic excuse for a human attacking two mosques and immediately our prime minister made a heart-warming address. Plus, a month later, a bill was passed, banning all semi-automatic firearms in attempt to stop anything like this happening again. I mean, you could have them with a licence but now, not at all.

2 Likes

ooh it’s good to see them being so quick to act!
and so respectful too

2 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

Where I live we speak french

Oh we had another press conference yesterday and I always find it more interesting to watch the signer.

(turns out Setbacks = punching yourself in the face)

2 Likes

okay but that’s amazing

2 Likes

It is, my dad and I were laughing so hard my mom got mad for being too loud. (but it was important to hear since we’re finally getting some more ease in the lockdown)

I only know 'my name is M E E K E (I have to handspell my name) and random workds like vegetables.

1 Like

honestly i would’ve been laughing a bit too
but also i love it? bc it’s very expressive?

and nice! it’s more than what i remember of my country’s sign language kdjbchdfbv

1 Like

I still wanna learn sign one day. :thinking:

1 Like

you should!

1 Like

I probably will, but after I gratuate or if it’s needed during my long term internship.

1 Like

fxdgcfhgvjhbk smart
sometimes studying a language while studying other stuff can be overwhelming

1 Like

Exactly and rn my study i too much already.
(but hey at least I’m allowed to go to school once a week for the last 8 weeks of the year :expressionless:)

I just feel like sign is something you should take your time with.

1 Like