What is the official language of your country?

I live in America, so our native language is English. I think Spanish is the second. What about you guys?

2 Likes

Well I live in america too and was born here but In Nigeria they are about 500 spoken but the official language is also English

1 Like

Canada, so it’s French and English

2 Likes

sorry i’m a bit confused… do you mean “official” language? because native languages are a more personal thing, not a country thing… or do you mean the language our natives spoke in?
also… “American” isn’t a language

4 Likes

I live in the United States too, and actually, we don’t have an official language. However, the majority of the people here speak English and we have a rather large Spanish speaking population, too. In terms of my native language, it’s either Mandarin Chinese or English, but my ability to comprehend Mandarin has slowly deteriorated over the years without consistent practice. :((

3 Likes

Yes, that was what the thread should have been but for some reason Ouija changed it. Uh, @Ouijaloveletters, would you mind changing that to official languages, please, as the task said?

2 Likes

Oh man. Oops. I mean the most commonly spoken language.

1 Like

But… but… the task was official languages, no? (pleading_face)

2 Likes

I fixed it! I’m very sorry about that. I could’ve sworn I read the task right. Guess not.

1 Like

Me: We speak American.
Also me: very good at history

so we all speak dutch.
about 500.000 people speak Frisian.
most people speak English enough to hold a conversation.
depending on where German and France will also be spoken quite well.

Other things like Arabic, Turkish, etc. are also spoken a lot since more and more people move here.

1 Like

my country’s official language is Spanish
though some of our islands (San Andrés, Providencia and Santa Catalina) also have English as an official language there

3 Likes

I honestly speak better German than I do Spanish.

1 Like

Filipino and English :eyes:

3 Likes

Yooo that’s so cool fra ^~^

My country has three official languish, Creole (our dialect), French and English \o/

2 Likes

thanks, bro
(we also have over 60 indigenous languages but those aren’t counted as official bc only small communities use them so rip)

and it’s so cool y’all have multiple languages! did you guys get to learn them at the same time or was one prioritised or treated as a second language?

2 Likes

Español, bruh… well, there are also a few communities that speak indigenous languages, but the official language of my country is Spanish.
English is spoken by many people nowadays, but mostly in bilingual schools. Public schools teach very basic English, and only once a week.

2 Likes

ofc bro ^~^

(Bro that’s still so cool though!)

Hmmm I’d say it depends on your household and education. They’re all considered important but Creole is the most commonly spoken because it is used in all local households.

I learnt creole first because we speak it at home. Then I learnt English in kindergarten and French in primary. My older sister taught herself English because she went to a different kindergarten (because there is a waiting list for my school) but my mother taught in English at the school I went to. She speaks better English, French and Creole than me though, I think she placed first in the country for Cambridge A-level English exams. I also improved my English through taking to her, reading her books and watching shows with her - not everyone has such resources or a chance to learn in this manner.

However in our international schools (we only have 2), classes are delivered in English and we are only allowed to speak English which is why we become fluent in it. I think most local schools teach in creole schools and many don’t teach English to the same level as our schools did so some people don’t know English or much English.

French is mandatory as we are a francophone country buuuut I don’t know much French anymore since I have not used it. My dad is actually fluent in French and part of our family lives in France so it’s useful for us to know it even if I don’t. We were definitely taught at a higher level than in my secondary school in AD though as we had to do essay + creative writing like you would in English. I think some local schools teach and use French at a higher level than English. We also have some schools that teach in French.

2 Likes

oooooh gotchu gotchu

that’s so cool image

2 Likes

thank you fra ^~^ sorry for the word vomit shxhshcjd

1 Like