What traits are common among all of your characters?

So we all have different ways and processes when creating our own characters. Some start with a random idea, some by looking for a face for that character, and others by starting with personality and/or biography. Then there are others who start elsewhere too.

We also have certain characters we’re used to making each time. Whether they’re the same gender or sexuality, similar races or backstories, or if they’ve similar traits.

So, are there any common traits that all or some of your characters share?

@RPers

7 Likes

All my characters need to experience at least one bad event in their life :grinning:

5 Likes

I feel like @Cam and @elysium can definitely call me out on this one but as I was going over my old characters I realised I always, have that grumpy or ‘dead’ character who bottles up their emotions…

Self-projection much?

3 Likes

Oooh… That’s interesting. I like that one.

2 Likes

Haha, @Ouijaloveletters, I’m calling you out.

2 Likes

Ooh I have no idea :sob: but it would most likely be that they’re not really conversation starters? At least that goes for most-

2 Likes

I make sure to give them at least one mistake they made, so I have something to build their personality from

Criminal :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Do you find this to be relatable to you or quite the opposite?

HEHEHEHEHEHE (smirk)

2 Likes

Definitely relatable; maybe that’s why I tend to do that because I for one have no idea how to start conversations xD

Can confirm :smiley::+1:

3 Likes

Oh, interesting. I noticed that they’re all confident / okay with who they are. For some reason they’re nearly all blonde, apparently. x)

3 Likes

Interesting, you have a thing for confident blondes, do you?

2 Likes

Can’t say I don’t. What about you ? What are some traits your characters share ?

2 Likes

Ironically, I can’t think of any, I don’t. The way I usually create characters is by either a random list of adjectives and/or looking at the character already in the FCs and creating what’s not there. Though I guess each one has something very small that’s similar to myself each time, which changes with each one I make.

1 Like

Hm?

1 Like

i see no lies. :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

Many people especially Fate and Cam can call me out on this, but my speciality is making annoying characters ehehehe >:3

O K A Y BUT NOW ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE
In my characters’ biographies, I notice that I often discuss identity, feeling like an outcast, and wanting to escape the situation or place they are currently in. It makes sense to me why these are common themes in my writing. When I was younger, I always felt very isolated and lonely, and I struggled with my identity because I was so different from my peers (not in the quirky way–) and I never saw myself represented. It wasn’t until I moved a few years ago that I learned to accept certain aspects of myself that I couldn’t change. Now that I’m older, I want to write these stories, not only for myself, but for people who felt (or still feel) the same way as smol me so they can find comfort in our shared experience. ^ ~ ^

is this what we call “character development”…

5 Likes

I think for me it boil down to a couple of things. Mainly, I find enjoyment in making a comedy relief character like a lot of my characters are. Most times that person loses a parent and makes people smile for they can feel less empty inside. I also tend to make similar names, well I used to a few years back, but I stopped.
My other build is the smart character, who always one step ahead of everyone else. For some reason it’s easier to make a evil genius character vs a good one, good geniuses are rather stale to me. Like they don’t use their high IQ enough unless they saying random facts that doesn’t really change the story.

Some common names I used:
Lucky
Lucy
Ash
Max
Dan/Daniel

2 Likes

that you did, bro
that you did

tho i feel like i need to add the fact that you often made snobby characters too, or characters with a fancy upbringing :3

meanwhile all my characters were either queer, emo, nerds or a mix between those

3 Likes

Honestly, YES. This probably is the result of sitting through my sister’s period/historic dramas and having them grow on me. Even though I’m not a fan of high society or nobility in real life it does interest me in fiction. And I have so much knowledge on it which I’ll never really put to use so…

yes you always have an emo child

The apple (character) does not fall far from the tree (rper/son of mine)

In all seriousness, your characters are always fun to interact with and it’s fun to have someone who’s daring enough to p*ss mine off xD.

4 Likes

it is very interesting! and it always helps you develop your characters and see how their bio affected their personality!

and yes, i do have emo children all the time, i love my emo children
(and i am proud to announce that, in my history of RPing, none of my characters has been cishet)

you do! and they’re super fun!
your characters annoying my serious/stoic characters is something i need more in my life

and Once, it’s good that you managed to explore that through your characters :pleading_face:

3 Likes

at this point we’re going to be fighting everywhere–

:writing_hand:t2: pester :writing_hand:t2: Fate’s :writing_hand:t2: and :writing_hand:t2: Cam’s :writing_hand:t2: characters :writing_hand:t2: more :writing_hand:t2: often :writing_hand:t2:

also, thank you Cam < 3

3 Likes