What's matters more to you, lyrics or melody?

I do like having nice relatable lyrics but not all the time, I do sometimes prefer the melody of certain songs if I don’t understand what the singer is singing about. Also if I listen to a song in a different language and like it (before googling a lyric translation) then I am going purely off the melody and the way it sounds as opposed to what it is saying.

With this said I think it depends on the song, there are some songs where I feel the melody is a little weak but the lyrics help it out.

What about you guys?

10 Likes

It depends on what song I’m listening to. Until about a year ago, it was the melody that mattered. Nowadays, it’s usually the lyrics that matter more to me.

1 Like

I usually more attracted to the melody the first time I hear a song but the longer I hear it the longer I dug into the lyrics. Sometimes the lyrics is what makes me love the song even more.

2 Likes

Definitely the lyrics for me. It can be the best melody ever, but if I hear a lyric that doesn’t make sense or just sounds weird… I’m completely put off by the song. I think most of my favourite songs are my favourites because of the lyrics.

2 Likes

I like both, depends on the song though. If a song has a crappy melody but meaningful lyrics it may be put in my “Meh song” list. :eyes:

Same

1 Like

Both, if they go well together, I’ll like the song.

1 Like

Melody matters to me more, but lyrics are still really important

1 Like

The melody is the most important to me, as well as the singer’s voice. Sometimes the lyrics will put me off if they’re really offensive. But it’s harder to stop listening to a song because you don’t like the lyrics than a song with beautiful lyrics but an awful melody.

For example, worship songs they sing at church---- a lot of them have beautiful lyrics, but I internally groan whenever the worship group starts singing a song with a boring, ‘meh’ melody. Even if I like what it’s saying, I just can’t get into it if I don’t like how it sounds.

Lyrics matter more to me but a beautiful melody is what draws me in to a song

1 Like

Lyrics definitely! I like a melody as much as anyone, but the lyrics are more important to me. Lyrics of songs sometimes inspire me for stories and characters too. Sometimes I will listen to a song primarily because of a single lyric.

2 Likes

last line big mood

2 Likes

I’d probably say lyrics, since I like songs that have a deeper meaning, but there are definitely songs that I only like for the melody.

1 Like

I don’t really listen to music for lyrics mostly for melody. If the lyrics are satanic or something I would stay away from it :thinking:

2 Likes

Melody, probably. I mean, I can like the lyrics too- but it’s honestly the melody that gets me hooked to a song. I prefer reading books and reading poetry for that sort of deeper meaning. If the lyrics are bad - like racist or something I definitely won’t listen to it.

1 Like

As an ex-amateur musician, I will like a song based on the melody. Some songs may have good lyrics, but the melody may not be great, hence, I will dislike that song.

However, since I stopped learning music, and me being stressed and depressed often, I lean more towards lyrics. The melody of those songs may not be vibrant, but the lyrics will be kept playing in my mind.

A good balance of both will make a great song. Currently, I lean towards good song lyrics with good message behind them :smile:

3 Likes

melody, b*tch i listen to reggaeton lmao

“Y yo hoy estoy aquí imaginando . Sexy baila y me deja con las ganas.” b*tch wtf
i dont like that song for the record, this is just a good example

i think lyrics are what make me identify with the song tho, so,

sad music= lyrics
dance music= melody
generally= the way they work together

1 Like

Sometimes I read the lyrics of a song I like, and I get disappointed.

1 Like

Lyrics matter more to me than melody. Of course, I want a good melody, but lyrics are really important to me. I know some songs whose melody I find kind of weird but the lyrics are so good that I still listen to it all the time. And I don’t really like songs whose lyrics I don’t understand, so no songs in a language that I don’t speak.

2 Likes

Both, but maybe lyrics more. I tend to focus more on that and if the melody fits it’s just perfect.