What's Racist and What's Racially Insensitive?

I don’t see them as racist, at least to some I will give the benefit of the doubt.
They might be ''racially insensitive" which sounds like an idiotic term to me.

For the second ad, as I heard the most about this one, I personally think that people who think it’s wrong to put this hoodie on a black kid are more racist than the ones who don’t see any connection.

7 Likes

I dunno. H&M has a bunch of different child models. I think it’s just the combination of this child with this shirt. Like, there’s other stuff for him to model!

5 Likes

Dove keeps messing up like that!!!

5 Likes

My view on these is, none are racist.
The dove one isn’t offensive in any way. It’s about loving your skin, and it’s not a black shirt and a white shirt… they are nude colours in different tones, more to represent the skin than a shirt.

Coolest monkey in the jungle… well kids get called monkeys all the time, it’s just a cute shirt that happens to have a poc modelling it.

Sure, the one where she is resting her arm on the younger girl is insensitive I guess. Maybe might have been better with her arm around the other girl’s shoulders.

As for the Halloween one, why would that be racist or insensitive? Lots of people say that they have a black soul. Meaning that they have a dark personality etc. Their soul is more negative than positive etc. Nothing to do with skin tone. She’s just dressed up in something that matches her idea. Would be the same as someone saying they are going as a corpse and painting their entire body white :woman_shrugging:

The Chinese one is nothing but stupid. I can’t even take that seriously.

8 Likes

I dunno why but I never really found the H&M one to be racist or insensitive. I still don’t tbh. I also don’t find number 4 to be that much of a problem. I mean it looks a little weird but I dunno.

5 Likes

vice words for my mom. would you think the same if the person was white? if yes it’s not racist if no it is.

sometimes its also diffrent what people find racist because of different knowledge. an example could be found in my mom’s kitchen. she has a picture of a black lady on a lot of stuff. the clock . the can’s she has coffe sugar and tea in.

people who dont know who she is will say wonder why my white mom has a black lady.
but its pretty simple its the logo of a coffe her where we live.

I actually talked with my mom once about if it was racist. again vice words from her "it would be more racist to remove it. that would be sayning black people are not allowed to be here "

6 Likes

In my opinion, the monkey T-shirt isn’t racist really. Like, children are always compared with monkeys. Plus, it would be worse if the boy couldn’t model the shirt because he is black.

Also, I don’t see anything wrong in the 4th picture. I think it wasn’t even connected to race. She only meant she had a dark soul which people often say. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

I actually have a little story about that. I was puttining picture of my new hat op for my ralsei cosplay. first comment. you are not gonna paint yourself black are you?. because that would be racist.

first I was not I have a lot of white paint from another cosplay. and second he is a goat monster.

this is ralsei

3 Likes

I was thinking that too. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Dove is more diverse now. They might be making some mistakes but their trying atleast.

3 Likes

Okay @everyone, since we’re on this topic, how do you feel about King Louie from Jungle Book? @ShanniiWrites said he’s very “black-coded” and I agree. He sings Jazz, along with the way he talks, and acts. Do you think it’s racist or racially insensitive? I still like his song though. :see_no_evil:

BreakableMindlessDogwoodclubgall-size_restricted
2 Likes

Even though it’s still amazing. I didn’t thought of it as racist when I watched the movie

2 Likes

Me either but it’s still very stereotypical. I still love the damn song.

2 Likes
  1. I think this was just racially insensitive. In the full ad, the white woman then takes off her shirt to reveal a brown-skinned/tan woman but no one really said anything about that.

2. Racially insensitive. I don’t know how to feel about this H&M one because on one hand, black people have been historically compared to monkeys so it’s hard to separate the imagery. On the other hand, it’s common to refer to kids as “cheeky-monkeys” in the UK so I think that’s what they were aiming for.

3. I don’t see how this is racist.

4. I felt bad for Lili when this happened because she didn’t do anything wrong. People need to stop calling being covered in black paint/make-up blackface. Black-face is mocking the look and behaviour of black people. That isn’t what she did.

5. Racist. Who looked and this and genuinely thought it was a good idea?

5 Likes

I’m sorry… But he’s an animated orangutan… and kinda needs no saying that he’s orange
How is it racist? I mean unless we are talking about oompah lumpahs here.

As for being perceived as black? Which I think is kinda where you’re going… I was a kid, I perceived him as an orange monkey with some seriously awesome entertainment skills.
I see no need to make everything racist or racially insensitive Its a kids movie, and realistically coloured. And given it’s kind of tribal being in the jungle, that’s more what it is aiming at than any racial particulars.

11 Likes

See, that’s the wonderful thing about growing up white. I never saw the racial coding either when I was younger, but it’s definitely there. It’s not the proper racist Disney cartoons of old, but it’s still pretty bad.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it should not be shown on screens or anything. I’m not even saying it’s bad, Jungle Book is great. Always will be, and that song is catchy as hell. But racial coding is something we’ve been more aware of for years now, it’s good to point it out and say ‘this. This is what we don’t want’.

Like, jazz monkey swings from trees in the jungle is a teeny bit race coded let’s be real.

3 Likes

And obviously, this comes from decades/centuries of racial stereotyping that I’d love for society to just break away from overnight, but we don’t live in a vacuum, and films aren’t made in a vacuum. In my opinion, this isn’t the worst thing in the world. But it’s worth pointing out

3 Likes

Maybe I’m a bit off course on it… me being 25 means it’s been quite some time since I last watched it. But when its in this kinda way I see no harm in it as I don’t see any racial coding.
Sure if it is used in ways that young children grow up believing certain aspects are normal then sure… harmful. Like if Cinderella had poc sister’s, then they would be perceived as bad. Or always servants in poc form in fairy tales etc.
But an animated monkey, which isn’t even a human to categorise in this instance, I see no racial profile there.

I mean I guess… I’m white, I will always be hated by many poc’s for that fact, I’m fine with that, because my outlook will never change. We were all brought into this world the same, and no matter what has happened to anyone on either side, that doesn’t change anything. Neither is better than the other. We are all human, we are all equal. So the problem isn’t race. It is man itself. The only evil on this earth is man itself. As soon as people stop looking at race or any other characteristic to define things and looking to spot issues based on some ones differences… the sooner there might be more love and peace and less hate and pain in this world.

4 Likes

I fully agree that we come into this world completely equal. That’s entirely true, there’s no nascent attribute that makes one person of a race, creed or religion better than any other. I also think it’s horrible that people may hate us for being white. I mean, violence against white people doesn’t happen here in the west but that’s an argument for another day, and not all that relevant. The message of peace is a good one, and no-one should be forced to feel guilty for something they cannot change like race.

But as for the big orangutan. The way he speaks, the black slang and the mannerisms, the monkeys being the only characters with black American accents where all the other animals have British accents, the jazz music and the fact that he’s a big slacker who doesn’t contribute to his kingdom or society, all that stuff is coding as the black stereotype of that kinda stuff in America. Let’s not mention he isn’t an original Jungle Book character, which is a touch fishy to me, they added him for a reason. I’m thinking that reason wasn’t just to add the jumpy jazz number. This is why they changed his mannerisms in the newer live action one, those things are bad enough.

But there’s the extra layer of him being a primate. Black people in America especially (Where this film was made) liked to liken PoC (specifically black people, because African Americans were and are still treated very poorly) to primates. Usually monkeys or apes but a lot of the time oragutans. That’s what makes this case arguably even a little worse than say, Jim Crow (The name? Really, Disney??) from Dumbo - which is also pretty bad, but doesn’t have the added layer of centuries of institutionalised racism telling black people they’re less evolved than white people and basically primates.

I hope that clears a couple things up. American racism affecting film isn’t even debated anymore, tbh, it’s something we know has existed for going on 100 years. I’m only pointing this out because it’s great to point out these kinds of criticisms in the things you love

3 Likes

I mean, race coding is a thing. Just because you make someone purple, red, whatever that they can’t be. :woman_shrugging:t4: It matters by the details and mannerisms you give them, which is an important piece. Along with the voice.

2 Likes