What's Racist and What's Racially Insensitive?

a lot of people debate the use of the word “racist” and the term “racially insensitive”.

i think everyone already knows what racist means, but racially insensitive basically means
“to be tone deaf to the implications of what she says, who may say insulting, or at least inappropriate, things without necessarily meaning any harm”

so basically, they say something that may be offensive to a race but they’re not usually intentionally trying to be offensive. so, still offensive, but not as much as true racism.

i wanna know your opinion on these things that have been in a debate of whether they’re racist or racially insensitive.

1. dove advertisement of a black woman taking off her brown shirt to reveal a white woman in a peach shirt.

2. h&m hoodie for kids that says “coolest monkey in the jungle” with a black child modeling it

3. gap ad with a white girl using a black girl as an armrest

4. lili reinhart from riverdale tweeting a picture of someone in full black makeup saying she found her halloween costume inspired by the color of her soul

5. chinese restaurant advertisement that says “brings out the chinese in everyone” with a black man but with squinty eyes

let me know your opinions! in my opinion, most of these are insensitive but i think the first and fifth one are blant racism. but i might just be misinformed or see it in a different way than you :))

10 Likes

3 out of 5 of those are racist tbh. The shirt one isn’t. The H&M one definently is. The gap sorta is. It seems more like stereotypical in some way. Painting herself pitch black isn’t. The Chinese restaurant is.

5 Likes

That’s why I stopped shopping there.

5 Likes

@ShanniiWrites @ChaoticDeluge How do you guys feel about this?

4 Likes

It’s all very… Problematic. People don’t like that word nowadays but it’s true. These images all convey very worrying connotations and it’s not productive for the market they’re entering into - which is growing more and more diverse by the day.

I can’t stress enough, as well, that ignorance is not an excuse. ‘I didn’t realise this would cause these negative connotations’ isn’t good enough. You need to be aware of the message you’re sending, and this really isn’t good enough

6 Likes

To be honest, I think most of these are racially insensitive. Or at least not overt, conscious racism – more microaggressions

6 Likes

These are really insensitive…
The first one seems like racism.

6 Likes

Is the painting yourself pitch black considered it? I don’t really see it…

7 Likes

Oh wait nvm. I do. Oof.

5 Likes

“normal to dark” :thinking:

6 Likes

:skull:

4 Likes

“Normal”? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::woman_facepalming::man_facepalming:

4 Likes

I hate to break it to you, Shadow, but it is.

3 Likes

I feel like all of these are racist or giving off derogatory connotations. When someone, like me, looks at these ads I notice these things. And to some it may seem like I’m sensitive but the thing is, what I think, they have marketing, pr, and research teams. Can you honestly tell me that someone looked at this and was like oh it’s fine. Or that no one saw something wrong with this.

7 Likes

and whenever someone says something about something that shouldn’t be something people are always quick to hit them with that “why are you bringing race into this???” :joy:

4 Likes

I know! Its really annoying, and I’m just calling it how I see it. Lol, these people have customers and make money, they are either to stupid to notice these things or they’re to inconsiderate and probably racist to change it. And this wouldn’t be such an issue if people didn’t see it constantly if they switched it up a bit no one would notice or care.

5 Likes

I actually only think that the first and the fifth one are a problem.

4 Likes

I think the kid in the monkey shirt is adorable. What would have happened if the company told the boy he couldn’t model the shirt because he’s black? Would that bother anyone?

11 Likes

i agree!

3 Likes

none of them were very well thought out, I’ll say that. The top one could have been saved, but… why the black lady becoming white? Why?!

My only question is how a girl like eight years younger than me is able to bend like a gymnast…

4 Likes