What's the point of those log in security warning emails?

Whenever I log into my account on various sites on a different device, it sends me a security warning. Even if I just log into my Gmail… :eyes::sparkles::green_heart::unamused:

But what’s the point of those? If a person would really try to hack me, they’d already have the password for my email and could simply delete them??
Is there a way to turn these messages off?

1 Like

It’s so that you’re aware if someone else is currently in your account. If someone else logs into your email and it notifies you, you can make sure if it’s someone you know if someone you might not know that way you can change your password as soon as possible – what i’m assuming. it’s also a good way to verify that only you have your account and nobody else has it
I’m not sure how to turn them off though, but i do recommend keeping them on if you don’t have a super secure account

2 Likes

Yeah honestly I constantly worry about that, if I don’t have push notifications for email I wouldn’t notice

I think you can also get those as a message to your phone and then you might be able to change the password quicker :thinking:

They’re just a safety feature and they are a little irritating
With that said I’m happy I have them because ever since my uni had a data breach where one of my passwords was exposed I recieved a bunch of spam emails and they haven’t stopped
So I like that google would inform me if I was hacked :smiley:

Closed due to inactivity