What's your writing style?

A writer’s style is a bit like their handwriting- changeable, but consistent at its core all the same. Your writing style is like your default, how it looks in the first draft, what it’s core is even after all the editing and polishing that makes it ready to be read.

• Are you known for using big words or small ones?
  • Do you love flowery, descriptive sentences, or do you get straight to the point?
  • Are you vague or direct in what you write about?
  • Formal or informal?
  • What point of view? First? Second? Third?

Myself, I tend to write in a more informal style. I will curse, address the reader directly, use a lot of sarcasm and generally make it a more casual read (until I edit it)
I prefer first person, mostly because I love writing people’s thoughts, getting into depth on their opinions and perceptions of the world. I take my time when writing scenes, and often have to force myself to get to the point and out of my character’s brain for a moment.
I suck at writing dialogue. One of the reasons why my MC is mute :eyes:

@Writers what about you?

5 Likes

Giving my narrator a small personality for it to be enjoyable, maybe, and also I don’t use big words (I seldom, because my goal is for my readers to understand me and picture my story, not to dump it because it makes them buy an extra book called dictionary) but I do use sentences that are kinda complicated if that makes sense? Though I try to be direct with that, I just like a little poetic essence sometimes xD

I love writing in third person, because it gives me more access to the world and that helps me develop my world more.

4 Likes

I’m a very visual person, which is why I like writing on Episode, but when I do write text-based stories, I like to narrate and describe things in a very straightforward manner. I will not spend a whole page talking about how the sky looks or describing a building. I’m more into describing events, emotions, and things that directly affect the character, like the weather or how they are feeling physically at the moment.

I like my stories to be a more of a casual read that basically anyone can understand. I don’t put swear words in my writing. If it’s necessary for a character to swear, I’ll put symbols, like; (What the /&%$## is he doing here???)

Straight to the point! Flowery, descriptive sentences bore me and take me out of the story. Here’s a short excerpt from one of my text-based stories, just to give you an idea:

Summary

However, it wasn’t just the food that made the fair so important to me. If you lived in El Rosario, a sleepy little rural town in Mexico where the only things people have to look forward to are weddings and the summer fair, you’d be pretty excited about it, too. There’s technically nothing else to see or do in this dry, boring town. Wi-Fi barely works here, so most people don’t even have an Internet connection in their homes. If you want to use the Internet, you have to go to the copy store, but the connection is still painfully slow. I’ve lived here all my life and I’ve seen it all. There’s only one of every shop, so if you don’t like the products or the prices… well, technically, there’s nothing you can do about it.

Usually very direct, unless it’s something that isn’t meant to be revealed quite yet and I want to build up some suspense before the big reveal.

I love first-person point of view because I like describing everything from the perspective of a character. One of the reasons I abandoned that story that the excerpt above came from is because I switched narrators often, and sometimes I’d repeat stuff another character narrated, or some of them sounded too similar.

3 Likes

I use a lot of big words though I try to write it slightly casual.

I like being mysterious, I like making my readers think and create theories like “X is secretly this” and then in a point of the story prove their theories wrong and laugh.

Both, I sometimes tend to mix both in my writing. I can’t stick to one as being too formal can get boring easily, being to informal gets to childish and annoying. So it’s a mix of both

I only write in first and third pov, second is boring af and useless. I used to write only in first pov but I suddenly wanted to be more descriptive and try to describe the setting better and first person was not doing that for me, so I learnt third person. And now I write in first/third person.

It depends on what am writing, if it’ a fictional setting I tend to create my own curse words. If it’s sci-fi I normally use f^ck, sh&t etc

I love breaking the 4th wall in first person, it’s interesting to do so.

Me!

Before I edited a part of my story and changed my mc personality one of her first line’s was “Sad, really” and she rolled her eyes

Honestly I can think of pretty good dialogue but to actually write it- I cry but I do it either way.

I forgot to answer this one:

Usually informal. But I do have characters that speak very formally, so when I’m writing their dialogues, I tend to use formal language.

1 Like

I use both big and small words. Especially when I want to describe someone or something without saying stuff like “She slapped him.”

I like to add flavour into my writing with a lot of adjectives, similes and metaphors.

Depends, I usually find ways to plot my writing

Hehe it’s both for me. The way I write is based on how I speak in real life, I usually write about my hobbies & interest.

Very hard question because the book I’m currently working on have all POV. Mainly written in the 1st person but the protagonist would use the 2nd POV when she is talking to the reader and 3rd when she is talking about someone else.

2 Likes

A strike on his cheeks- I use that instead of just “She slapped him.”

same

1 Like

Yeah, saying “she slapped him” sounds too vague and bland.

For sure! Creative writing is meant to be adventurous. Like when I want to describe a rose, I go into details like: “His touch is velvet as a rose, blooming.”

1 Like

YES! Also when I want to describe a color, I say the color of love (then name the color) It is fun to use synonyms, antonyms, metaphors and similes.

1 Like

Tell me about it.

Also, the protagonist of my novel has eyes that changes colour like a mood ring which signifies intense feelings. I use different adjectives to describe the colours for example, my eyes sparkle like a rosé in a crystal clear champagne flute.

1 Like

it’s less vague and more blunt.
Like maybe you have dialogue where a man is being rlly condescending and rude or insulting or whatnot, and at the end of it all you have is “she slapped him.”
Then you show his reaction. In that sense, her action, although bland and simple, holds a lot more power than a flowery sentence would

3 Likes

Yeah, it also sounds biased as well because we don’t have the person’s reaction in that sentence. It could be written as:

“She slapped him like a bolt of lightning, leaving him with a sharp blow stinging on the side of his sensitive face.”

Also when it comes to very sensitive topics such as r*pe, I prefer not to write about it because it may be traumatising to me or anyone that has been through this.

1 Like

i don’t think you got what I meant
I’ll write up an example when I have the energy to do so :joy:

1 Like

Ooops!

Sorry, I misread your comment. I had to read it again and understand your point, never mind.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity