When did you learn to read?

I learned to read at a very young age and I started with the Mr. Men books! I’ve always been a fast learner and that applied when I was a child too :joy:

When I was at the Primary school I had to read with some of the children, the teacher was like “don’t tell them what it says” but I was like how are they supposed to learn if they don’t know what it says like I learned because my Mum used to read with me and if I struggled she’d tell me what it is and I’d remember.

It was painful to watch children unable to read what they had chosen and keep looking at me like pls help. Anyway there may be a method to this madness, I’m just a person with no teaching qualifications giving my outside opinion.

4 Likes

Wish I knew when. I think in secondary school not sure

Raven

Soph has very few memories before she was 12. Though she struggled for a while, the words kept moving on the page thanks to dyslexia. Still dose now but we can manage it better. She learned to love ready at 12 so maybe that’s when :man_shrugging:

:eagle:

1 Like

I think I could read at 4-5 years old? I remember flexing on the other kindergarteners that I can read lmao

3 Likes

Before kindergarten so 4? Maybe 3? I’ll ask my mom

1 Like

I have no clue, I don’t have many early childhood memories for some reason

Before kindergarten. I was one of those kids who always flexed when they were ahead of others when it came to learning

2 Likes

I was the type of kid who could tie my shoes when I was in preschool :joy: I was always demonstrating my superiority and reading was a just another thing to knock out at the ballpark. I think as I entered kindergarten or somewhere before or during that time.

2 Likes

I know it was before kindergarten because all the kids in the class used to ask me to read whatever the teacher wrote to them, but I don’t remember if it was three or four.

I remember that I learned the letters before starting school and reading easy stuff with the help of spelling out the letters. :thinking: I read a lot more as a kid than I do know :sob:

I learned reading before I started primary school. My parents always read stories to me and I really really really wanted to know how word are made out of letters :smile_cat: It just seemed so cool to me and once I was able to read, I did nothing else all day

2 Likes

I was 3 years old when I first learnt to read. It was rad because my first attempts were those little comic books you get at railway stations.

1 Like

Kindergarten :brown_heart: and I had lots of story books home that I really loved reading when I was small.

I taught myself to read when I was about 3-4. I know it was before kindergarten because I was the only kindergartner who could read, and I just stayed way ahead with a much higher reading level than everyone else as the school years progressed.

Added tags to the thread too

I learned to read when I was around 3 or 4 (I went to a Montessori school before going to kindergarten)

@Bookworms - when did you learn to read?

3 Likes

I honestly don’t remember, lol…

2 Likes

Hmm I think I was reading by 5 or 6 years old. My mom would have us sit down each night to read a couple of chapters of book. She would then let us read as many pages as we could. I think we even read Chronicles of Narnia too during that time. I’ve been reading books ever since. I was actually reading high school level books in middle school.

1 Like

I have absolutely no idea. I can’t remember.

At like 3-4 I think

2nd or 3rd grade. Idk how old I was, probably 8 or 9. I had to be tutored for a summer and then I finally could read and write and stuff. We moved, I went to a really bad school where I learned nothing lol. Then I went to a good-ish school and I did tutoring.

So… people told me I started reading early? But it doesn’t seem early to me, especially when I look at the other answers on this thread :sweat_smile: