When is it insperation copying or plagaerism?

when writing a thing there is hard is to be original, and often people get inspiration or copy other people, which aren’t a wrong thing. , so what is the difference between inspiration coping and plagiarism

so what do the words mean?
Inspiration is a feeling of enthusiasm you get from someone or something, that gives you new and creative ideas. … If you describe someone or something good as an inspiration , you mean that they make you or other people want to do or achieve something.

an example of inspiration could be my own story Magicka Ethereal, which I was inspired to make by an add for a harry potter app.

inspiration is getting an idea from something else, I don’t think I need to explain how inspiration is completely fine because it kinda gives itself

copy , imitate, and mimic mean to make something so that it resembles something else. copy means trying to duplicate a thing as much as possible. Copy this drawing exactly. imitate means that a person uses something as an example but does not try to make an exact copy .

copying arent bad, it can be pretty hard to make a story without copying something. espically when people write about the same subjects, like high school drama and mafia story. they need to follow the same formula to work, but as an author, you put a lot of your own ideas into the story too.

Plagiarism is copying another person’s ideas, words or writing and pretending that they are one’s own work. It can involve violating copyright laws. … Writers who plagiarize commit serious legal and ethical violations.

. plagiarism is stealing another person hard work. it can both taken an entire persons work example on that could be I married a millionaire, by @earlgreytea if you follow the author you may know someone copied and republish her story on Wattpad. but it could also be copying a scene where the dialogue is the exact same as someone els, similarities is bound to happen but if its the same line for line it plagiarism.

it is not not only in stories it happens YouTubers have it happen to them too, and here is two videos where they talk about work been copied or plagiarised

she first talks about it around 2 minutes in

9 Likes

added a few tags :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think that you should always credit people, even if your idea is only slightly inspired by somebody’s work, but that’s my personal opinion. My school takes plagiarism very seriously if you take a sentence from an article it MUST be credited and if it is online a link would be given. At the end of every powerpoint or doc we have to have a bibliography.

@Discussions

4 Likes

Yes, I make sure to post the articles I use for my how-to write threads plus other threads that fall into a discussion thread. I hate it when people do not do this since you have no idea if it’s there words or a mixture of original thought and words from another source.

1 Like

The thing is about the difference between inspiration and copyright infringement is very slippery. The line is blurred.

Like, fanfiction is often considered fair use as long as fanfic writers don’t make money from their creations.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity