When to know if your idea should become an SG or RP

Raise your hand if you’re someone who has a new RP or SG idea every week!
no…just me? okay…

Yes, I have like a million ideas but some are based on things and some I know aren’t going to be worth making.
it’s had to know when the idea is worth working out.

There are a few things I personally do before making one into an RP:

1. Let it simmer for a bit.
    I’ve once read that when you have an idea, don’t write it down right away, but just let it exist. If it comes back again and again, then you know it’s an idea worth giving time to and then I write it down. I then again let it wait for a few days sometimes months or even a year before I come back to it, this is because in the moment it might look good, but then if you haven’t thought about it for a while and read it back, it may not be as good anymore. if it is, work it out!.

2. Potentials.
    I always look at my stories with the following questions:
    A. How interactive can I make it?
    B. How fast will the pace of this RP be?
    C. Is there a way to get rid of days/ timeslots or at least expand them? (for me it’s often a big reason I don’t continue an RP).
    D. How do I keep it interesting?
    Making an rp needs to be interesting, but also keep your players active, so thinking about how you’re going to do that can help when it actually happens.

3. Original/ Based off…/ Similar to…
    I personally LOVE to make original things, I don’t like to make things similar to something that already exists. I don’t mind if other people do it, but I don’t like it.
    So while thinking about my RP, I always try to see if anyone has ever done it before, and if so, how do I make it stand apart from the other one? Even if they do end up similar, I always try to make this my idea and let them have their idea.
    If you think about it, a lot of stories are sometimes exactly the same, but they aren’t because the writers knew how to set them apart.

• So do you have any more tips on when you think an rp is ready to be an RP or SG?
  • Have you ever made an RP or SG
    if so, how did you know it was worth a try to turn into?
    if not, what made you not do it?
  • Do you have any ideas you would like to see as an RP?

@RPers

5 Likes

When it comes to an SG idea, don’t just think it up. It’s best to plan it out a little in your head before posting it on the New Ideas thread. Don’t write it down yet, just make sure you ask yourself the 5 Ws & H in terms of the SG plot.

added tags

I usually look at how my idea can be flexible and be fitting to be a “community story” :eyes: