Why do people not like insects?

A lot of people don’t like insects. Part of me can understand why, they are these tiny crawly animals. But, they are so essential to the environment. Without those animals, the world would be so different without them.

Insects create the biological foundation for all terrestrial ecosystems. They cycle nutrients, pollinate plants, disperse seeds, maintain soil structure and fertility, control populations of other organisms, and provide a major food source for other taxa.

From: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9781118945568.ch2

We should really focus more on the positives of them, and just let them do their very useful things. What do you guys think about insects?

2 Likes

Insects gross me out tbh, I avoid them as much as I can. But what I can’t understand is how some people just freely kill them. Don’t you feel bad???

1 Like

Some people don’t register them as being living things, they just see the creepy, scary, unappealing side of them and instead of putting them outside they just kill them.

I’m terrified of spiders and other insects make me uncomfortable but nothing will change the gut wrenching feeling I get when people kill them, especially if they do it on my behalf.

Some people aren’t even scared of them, they just kill them anyway for a myriad of reasons. It’s a shame because most insects people find in their homes aren’t harmful plus there’s steps you can take to prevent them coming into your home in the first place.

If your first thought is “kill” when you see any insect then like, you should probably actually take a moment to think about whether killing it is your only option. Because it never usually is.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m scared of them.
It doesn’t matter the type, I’m still scared of them.
Butterflies, Dragonflies, and Fireflies are ok, but they still need to stay away from me

I hate roaches … I find them gross and disgusting. I’m so grossed out by them that I’m scared of them. My roach fear is so extreme that I can’t even kill them— I just run away and wait for them to disappear.

1 Like

Because they are :woozy_face:
I had extreme phobia but I’m working on it

1 Like

Me too. Roaches are the worst, any other bug is fine compared to them.

1 Like

All bugs or do you have a phobia of particular types?

It’s like my emetophobia, I’m not necessarily scared, I just find it gross. It grosses me out to another level. :sob: Like I’m shivering just thinking bout it.

1 Like