Why is English used in so many places?

Why is English used in so many places?

Well, that’s actually a good question, because I don’t quite know. Is there anyone who knows the history and evolution behind this? The cause maybe?

I don’t think I could ever come up with the idea on why this would be. I mean, obviously languages spread to better communicate between groups of people, but what made English one of the most dominant languages to be spoken?

@Writers @Discussions ?

3 Likes

I don’t knowwww

there are many reasons for this, first of all it’s because english is really simple. It’s nowhere near as complicated as french, for example, there aren’t that many verbs. also, english and a few chinese languages are the “official” languages people use to do buisness internationally. Another reason is that english is spoken by almost every american and canadian, and that makes up a good chunk of the population and I guess you could see where i’m going with this

Well no, that’s not really the question being asked. Like since it’s used in so many places, that’s why it’s an official language to speak in when communicating with other government officials, like you said, but I’m asking the history of the language spreading.

Interesting to think about, huh

1 Like

Yeah

well i mentionned that one of the reasons why it spread around the world is because the language is easy, that’s probably the biggest reason

It’s a possibility.

google says that one of the reasons it spread is because of the rise of the british empire and the united states, that would make sense because popularity + an easy language = even more popular

Actually, english is pretty hard, even for native speakers.

2 Likes

That’s what I was going to say, but. :man_shrugging:

i wish i could agree with that but trust me ARABIC, FRENCH, AND RUSSIAN are much much MUCH harder imo, words are more complicated to pronounce and the grammar in general is more complex

1 Like

And written Russian looks like gibberish…

1 Like

ah yes that i can agree with

Probably because England once owned a large part of the world.

True though. Top 3 reasons.

1 Like

Very true.

Well, colonisation happened :eyes: England forced countries to speak English
France did it too
As did the Netherlands

1 Like

Stupid us.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity