Writing a person with npd

Hey, guys I have a main character who has Npd. I searched a lot about this disorder. But I still have some questions and I wonder if someone can help me with it :slight_smile:

Bump

I could try to answer your questions, what are they?

1 Like
  1. Can they kill themself
  2. If somebody wants to leave of the person who has npd, what will npd do?
    3)When everbody (family, friends.) leaves the person, will the person realize that is his fault?
1 Like

I don’t have NPD, nor have I ever met anyone who has it, but I’ll find out what I can~

What it involves and what it is~

Narcissistic personality disorder — one of several types of personality disorders — is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that’s vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial affairs. People with narcissistic personality disorder may be generally unhappy and disappointed when they’re not given the special favors or admiration they believe they deserve. They may find their relationships unfulfilling, and others may not enjoy being around them.

~ sourced from mayo clinic website

If someone wants to break up/leave someone with npd

Narcissists are definitely not going to like it if someone tries or decides to leave them. It’s like someone telling them ‘I don’t want to be around you because you are not good enough for me.’ Because narcissists are actually deeply insecure and use narcissism to avoid those insecure feelings, they’re not going to be happy about it. You just insulted them, essentially.They might beg you and plead you to stay, and if this doesn’t work, they may try to manipulate you, cause chaos, confuse you etc.
They can also feel in despair, because they’ve lost control. They can also feel sad, as NPD comes about from childhood trauma/neglect/abuse. Their real self was devalued and rejected, and so that’s why they develop this grandiose view of themselves, but when even that is rejected, they’ll feel like their childhood is happening all over again.

Narcissists can feel sadness when you leave them, but not in a way resembling in any way what a mature adult would expect. Their “sadness” is that of a three year old, who has lost their favorite toy. They no longer have you to manipulate and abuse, to control, to receive narcissistic supply from. Of course, they don’t think in these terms, but more simply, they are sad you are gone because they felt happier when you were around. Their happiness is 100% self centered, and has nothing whatsoever to do with you, except as a means to an end, a way to achieve what they want, the same sort of sadness you might feel if you lost you remote control and could no longer use your television. ~ Quora

As I don’t have NPD, I can’t answer questions further than that, but I hope this helped a little.

2 Likes

Damn. Thank you for the explanation!

1 Like

Closed, as question has been solved. :heart: