Writing Competition April 2020

April 2020 Writing Competition!

Welcome to another writing competition. I know, I know, it’s a couple of days to late and I’m sorry about that :sweat_smile: And something else, from now on @Rainbow will be hosting the writing competitions together with me!

The entries will be both judged on a community vote and a judging panel consisting of staff members. The judges will vote according to the following rubric:

You will strictly have until the 27th of April to enter your stories for this month. After that we will post a poll for community vote and the judges will be voting to decide the winner.

This month’s details

The theme of this week is illness, besides that we expect between 500 and 2000 words, so a short story.

Prizes are the writer of the month badge, a shout out on our Instagram and the honor of coming up with the next theme and joining our judges for May.

Looking forward to seeing some more entries than last time and feel free to ask questions :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::purple_heart:

18 Likes

Everyone has until my birthday! :smile: Maybe I’ll be able to come up with something by then.

3 Likes

sorry if this is a dumb question, I’m new to the forums, but where do we submit our entries?

2 Likes

Just just post it down below, on this thread!

1 Like

alright, thank you!

2 Likes

Can it be like an apocalypse thing
And this will give me something to do over Passover so yay

1 Like

Yes, it can be. Sorry for the late reply, this completely got lost in my notifications.

1 Like

No restrictions at all besides the word limit right?

Don’t forget to enter! :pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:

I am super embarrassed by what I wrote but here it is :no_mouth::new_moon::dizzy::black_heart:

Natalie knew that it would be her last time on a roller coaster. Her mother next to her held her hand, smiling, but you could see the pain in her eyes. She was so sad. But Natty… She was happy. She knew she had about two months to live. Her mother made sure she would enjoy them. And she did.

Natty was diagnosed with a brain tumor, cancer, when she was fifteen. She had about six months before her brain surgery. In other words, six months to live. The surgery had about 1% chances of success. Her mother was shocked when she heard that. She was so sad, her little baby would be dying before her. And what’s worse to live longer than your own child? But Natty’s mother made sure she would enjoy her last months alive. They would do whatever Natty always wanted to do. They would go on roller coasters, visit other countries, pet exotic animals… She had the time of her life. Natty and her mother spent awesome days together.

Natty was sad about one thing only. That her mother, that she loved so much, would be devastated after her daughter’s death. She always tried to comfort her. “Mom, it will be okay. I will always be with you.” Natty knew she would die, and she made peace with it. But her mother couldn’t accept the fact that she would lose her baby.

She would rather die herself than have her daughter dying before she gets a family of her own. Natty was so young! She didn’t deserve to die. Her mother would switch places with her in an instant, with no second thoughts. What mother wouldn’t make such sacrifice, after all? But that wasn’t possible, and her mother had to eventually accept it.

It was time for Natty’s surgery. Basically, her last moments with her mother. She said her goodbyes. Mother and daughter were crying. Even the doctors were crying. They all knew Natty would die.
“Natty, sweetheart, I love you so much, I can’t lose you…” Her mother said in a heartbreaking voice. Her voice was cracking, she was sobbing.
“I love you too, mom… I love you so much…” Natty took a deep breath, “Please don’t cry, I will always be with you… Always…”

Her mother gave her a big hug, and held her tight, crying. It was time for the surgery, and Natty’s mother cried in pain, she couldn’t let go. She had to, though.

She let Natty go.

Natty was relaxed. She was ready to leave this world. The doctors gave her the drugs, and she fell asleep.

The doctors called Natty’s mother in the room, to share the news with her. She started crying, before even entering the room. She could imagine what the news would be, but how much she hoped for that one chance, that Natty survived. She cried for a while. But she had to face the truth. She took a very deep breath, attempting to calm herself down.

She entered the room. She will never forget what she saw. Natty survived the surgery. Her bright green eyes filled the room with light and joy, and her smile was brighter than a thousand suns. It was unbelievable. Her dreams came true. Her mother rushed and hugged her, so tightly. She was so proud of her little girl. They were both so strong. They got through this together. Her mother cried happy tears, blessed to get to see her little girl again, to be able to talk to her.

She was the happiest person in the world.

I am not quite sure if it fits the theme, but cancer is an illness so I thought it would be fine :sweat_smile::new_moon::dizzy::black_heart:

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading that :no_mouth:

3 Likes

I feel like there’s so much I could still improve this, but here’s my entry!

Illness comes in many forms. Nowadays mental illness is known as well as physical sickness. Over time, medicine has grown and improved, but where would anyone be if there had not been advancements. A disease may decline on its own, but the toll would be great, and with widespread sickness every so often there would be no chance for anyone. Humankind has dealt with the spread of many diseases, and pulled through. The Black Death as everyone has heard of today, yellow fever, smallpox, influenza, the spanish influenza, and so many more have taken more lives than I can even count. I know firsthand, because I have lived through many outbreaks including some of these. How you may ask, is because I was born in the year 1843, and I died from a disease that could not be cured at the time.

I was just a young girl back then, only nineteen years old, with no one for support. My parents had died a year prior due to their involvement in the war, so on my own I volunteered in a sanatorium, caring for the ill. There I was exposed to what would change my life. I had become friends with one of the volunteers and because of her, and her heart, everything turned out the way it had for me. I had only been volunteering for a short few months when I came down with consumption, or tuberculosis as it is called today. I fought to stay alive for three years when the day I was to die finally came.

I lurched forward with a gut wrenching cough. Nothing gave the cough relief anymore. Each breath was strained, and the cloth came away from my lips coated in blood. I was dying, and Victoria knew as well as I, that my time was almost up. She dabbed my forehead with a damp cloth, and gave her signature look of trying to be reassuring. “My brother is returning home today Emily. I want you to meet him.” Victoria had been talking about her brother since the day I had met her.

“No Victoria. Do not…” I started as I was interrupted by a cough. “…have him come here to watch me die.”

“If I have to watch you die, I want the two people I cherish most in the world to meet. There is nothing you can say to change my decision.”

Each breath came more strained than the last. “I. am almost. out. of time…” I coughed even more as it became harder to stay conscious.

“Stay with me Emily.” I saw my friend’s head turn and a small smile appear on her face. “He’s here Emily. Samuel is here.” Victoria reached out to hug her brother. “I’ve missed you Samuel. I didn’t know if I would ever see you again.”

“I’m here now and I’m fine. This is the Emily from your letters?”

Another cough, weak this time, came with a wheeze as I began drifting into unconsciousness. I could only hear pieces of what the two said on my deathbed. “Yes, and she doesn’t have long left…”

“I’m sorry I haven’t been here, but I’m not going anywhere now.”

“You had no choice in the war. You are here now, even if you did not… …know Emily.” I could hear in Victoria’s tone that she was on the verge of tears.

“This girl means that much to you?”

“Yes Samuel. She means everything to me.” Victoria sniffled as she began crying. “I can’t lose her.”

“Alright… There is a lot I must tell you, and Emily as well.” I could vaguely make out the blue of the uniform kneeling before me, and Victoria’s soft hand holding mine, as I entirely lost consciousness.

I awoke with a start. I no longer felt myself straining to breath or fighting the urge to cough with every breath. I sat right up to see the uniformed man standing at the foot of the bed I was in. Looking around, I was no longer in the sanatorium cot, or anywhere I knew for that matter. I was in a bedroom, but it was unclear who’s. “Good. You’re awake. I was beginning to think we had lost you for good.”

“Am I dead?”

“Do you feel dead?

“No… but I have consumption. I was in the sanatorium. Who are you, and where am I?”

“You had consumption. You are here now in my home. My bedroom actually, and you already know my sister.”

“Samuel?”

“Yes Emily, it’s a pleasure to meet you, although I wish it were under different circumstances. You were almost gone when I arrived. Victoria was distraught, and would have done anything to help you. There was nothing she could do, but I could.”

“How? Victoria was working for months to ease my pain, how were you able to do this?”

I watched as he walked over towards me and sat on the edge of the bed beside me, glass in hand. I instinctively leaned back, expecting myself to begin coughing anytime. “Here, drink this and I’ll explain from the beginning.”

“Alright, explain then.” I cautiously took the wine glass from him and sipped the odd liquid, feeling different, stronger even as I did.

Samuel began by informing me of everything he had told his sister before I awoke, beginning with telling me that the liquid I had just consumed was blood. Drinking blood would allow me to survive after I died in the sanatorium early that afternoon. Life would be different, but he would help me, since he had just been through the same after being killed in battle against the confederate army. Together, we would see what came next of our country. Not even Victoria would live to see everything we would see in the coming years. She died only a few years later in an altercation over a woman, with neither myself or her brother there to save her by turning her into one of us. We grieved the loss of my friend, his sister, for years, but we made it through because we had each other. We watched as countless individuals suffered from illness over the decades and in the hundred and fifty years since we lost Victoria, we have seen so much, and saved a few as we could. The human race will always suffer from illnesses, no matter how their technology advances. Many die, but the rare few get the opportunity to live on as Samuel and I have, for better or worse.

2 Likes

I feel that this doesn’t meet up with other’s but here’s my entry!

It started with her losing her keys, but some of us didn’t really care about it because it was a normal occurrence. I was a little surprised to see her looking for it because she never misplaces it, so that was out of character for her. Even though she was just like the rest of us, she never happened to misplace her keys.

Then she appeared to be unable to understand or know what to say in a conversation and for a knowledgeable person and lawyer, that was troubling. Her normal way of being an encyclopedia had subsided, and there were moments when she would come home from work, and her regular grumbling of some rules wouldn’t accompany her. She tended to misplace her case file, or it was scattered everywhere. There were moments when she would look at her case files and records and attempt to connect the names of her clients with faces or experiences, but she would only draw a blank. This happened while she was working with both new and old clients.

Following these observations, we were concerned about her, but she shrugged us off with the excuse that she was just overworked and didn’t have enough sleep or food. Even though these were valid points, we tried to get her to go to the doctor, but her determination was high. Seeing that she was a stubborn person, I didn’t understand why we kept trying when we knew her mind wasn’t going to change, but we were still concerned.

It became very disturbing when she was reading, and then she couldn’t recall what the page she was reading was all about, or when she failed to remember her own birthday. It then escalated to the point that she could not do the arithmetic of our bills. I would have let that one go if it were trigonometry, algebra or calculus, no, it was just for her to make additions, multiplications and subtractions.

She began to get worse by the day. There were moments when she was going to cook, and then she’d look so confused and forget what she was going to do. It was always a very dangerous situation because she’d forget to turn off the stove, it was only by the special grace of God that the kitchen island didn’t go up in flames. After losing her ability to cook, it spread over her ability to do other house chores. She could no longer do the washing, and hell she could no longer dress properly.

We eventually persuaded her to go to a doctor and, as you might already know, the results were not good. The doctor said it’s already gotten to a point where it was hard to monitor. He told us that her chances of survival were slim, but we all came together to pay for her care because she would have done the same thing for us.

We all agreed that she no longer required the burden of work, even though we had tried to stop her earlier, she didn’t listen and just kept on working. While all she did was defend the individual in court as her firms were conducting evidence gathering, file arrangements and pre-trail meetings, we put our feet down and took her out of her proceedings, handing the reins of her business over to someone professional and trustworthy.

Since taking the required course of action that would have caused her less pain, we had a private nurse who would have been at her side when we couldn’t.

We still got a regular update on what she did and it was always heartbreaking to see our fighter and provider look so lost, frustrated and far away. She had been a stranger wearing our warrior’s crown. She had begun to forget the names of her friends and family members. Once they came to visit, she looked at them in utter surprise, and it was heart-wrenching. She only remembered them after they left, so she cried out. She cried only when she had horrible news, a horrible borderline point, but she was crying because she didn’t know anyone, it was a huge change of personality. That wasn’t the only thing that changed, there were times when she was being abusive and trying to attack us, and there were times when she became so still and silent, it was disconcerting.

Her disease continued to progress, and so did her symptoms. She had lost control of her bladder at some point, and her nurse had to start helping her use the toilet and give her a bath. Even though we gave her the requisite medications, she didn’t improve, it just seemed like her health was declining faster. She could hear conversations, but she wasn’t an active participant, and she couldn’t take it very well. At that point, we knew she was gone for good and there was nothing we could do to help or stop her.

Her death was an expected one, but when it came, it was shocking, and it was hard to let go. The only thing that made the situation seem to be better was the fact that she had a little smile on her face. She had choked to death because she had forgotten how to swallow, and the doctor told us that when she found it hard to feed, that was because she was barely alive. It was crazy, at first, to think that what she loved most was what was going to kill her, but after seeing her lifeless body beside a plate of grilled cheese, it all seemed to make sense.

Alzheimer’s is a progressive disorder that affects memory and other essential mental functions. Brain cell connections and the cells themselves degenerate and die, and ultimately kill memory and other essential mental functions.
The primary symptoms are memory loss and confusion. There is no cure, but drugs and management strategies can temporarily improve symptoms.

Alzheimer’s is a devastating condition if you’re waiting for as long as we waited, it might be too late for your loved one. Please, if your loved ones or colleagues are beginning to exhibit any of the above signs, please go to a doctor and get a medical diagnosis immediately.

1 Like

Imma just put this here… lmao

uh

It was a rainy day in the small city of West Nuri and it was for this reason that the streets were empty, silent except for the sound of the rain hitting the pavement or the occasional. The rain had been coming down for days, which happened sometimes in West Nuri since the city was situated right on the coast. Its glittering beaches were usually crowded with people, but today the waves are rough and crash violently against the shore. With the threat of a storm looming over the city, almost all of its residents were at home, waiting it out.

Mora Grace was not one of them.

The bus pulled up to the curb, its brakes squealing as the bus came to a stop. The rear doors slid open, and Mora flew out of the bus, running before her feet even hit the pavement. She bolted down the sidewalk, pushing herself to run faster and cursing herself when she couldn’t. Her legs burned with exertion, but she wouldn’t stop—couldn’t stop. The memory of this morning’s phone call was seared in her mind, and it was the one thing that would keep her going.

Mora had been sleeping when the phone call came, warm and tucked into her bed. She hadn’t planned on waking up earlier than noon, but the ring of her phone disturbed her. She groaned, then felt for her phone on her nightstand. She answered it, bringing it to her ear with a groggy, “Hello?”

“Is this Mora Grace McLellan?” The female voice answered. The seriousness in her voice woke Mora up, and she rubbed her eyes and sat up in bed.

“Yes, this is she. What is it?”

“Ms. McLellan, Cameron Lynch is at the hospital. West Nuri General Hospital…”

“What?” Her eyebrows furrowed, confusion drawing into her expression. “I-I don’t understand, I thought his chemo appointment wasn’t until Saturday.”

“It’s not for chemo, he’s sick. It’s pneumonia.”

Dread pooled in the bottom of her stomach and its tendrils gripped onto her. “Is it bad?” Her voice came out much softer than she wanted it to, and she could hear the distinct fear in her voice. Her boyfriend, Cameron, has acute lymphoblastic leukemia. He was diagnosed when he was 6, but he’s been in remission for longer than Mora’s known him. A few weeks ago, he found out that the cancer is back, but so far it’s been responding well to treatment. However, he is pretty susceptible to illnesses since his white blood cells are compromised, and she knows that something like pneumonia can be deadly to him.

“It’s not looking good.”

Her breath caught in her throat and tears welled in her eyes. “I’ll be there as soon as I can,” she said, her voice coming out much stronger than she thought it would. She hung up, sitting in silence for a bit before she burst into a flurry of action, throwing clothes and toiletries into a bag, running into the bathroom to put on clothes, gargling mouthwash to clear her morning breath and snatching her glasses just as she sped out of her room. She’d rushed out of the house, skipping breakfast, and barely caught the bus that took her a couple of blocks away from the hospital.

Now, she stood outside the doors to West Nuri General Hospital, the rain pounding down harder against her. The looming doors of the hospital stood in front of her, and it only took her a moment’s hesitation before she pushed through the doors, dripping wet in the hospital’s front lobby. Mora was quite a sight, soaked to the bone and her dark curls a frizzy mane exploding out of her head. Her glasses were fogged up and sporting water droplets, and she knew that it probably looked like she plunged her face into a bowl of water. The blonde, middle-aged receptionist glanced up at her, and even she looked surprised at Mora’s appearance. As Mora rushed up to the desk, the receptionist’s expression smoothed over into a more blank one, and Mora felt somewhat encouraged by this, blurting out words at rapid speed. “I’m–I’m here to see Cameron, my boyfriend, Cameron—he’s got pneumonia and he’s sick and I’ve come to see him and—”

The receptionist put her hands up in a placating gesture, her green eyes wide. “Hey, darling, slow down there. Let’s start over. Deep breaths, hon.” The receptionist mimicked taking a deep breath, and Mora followed her, taking comfort in her calming voice. The receptionist continued speaking, “Better?” As Mora nodded, she said, “Good. Now, what’s your name?”

“My name is Mora Grace. McLellan. Mora Grace McLellan.”

“And you’re here to see—?”

“Cameron, Cameron Lynch.”

A few clicks on the computer, and the receptionist looks up at her again with kind eyes. “He’s right in room 217, that’s upstairs and then to your left. Here,” she passes Mora a disposable mask, “take this mask; his type of pneumonia isn’t that contagious, but it’s best to be precautious.”

She nods, barely holding back the tears that suddenly sprang to her eyes. “Thank you,” she whispers, before turning and hurrying off to the elevators.

Mere minutes later, Mora stood outside of Cameron’s room, gasping as she took in the sight of him. There were tubes in his nose, and he was connected to a screen that displayed his heartbeat, oxygen saturation and other things that Mora didn’t understand. His hair was matted against his pillow, and his pale cheeks were paler now than they’d ever been. She could also see the sheen of sweat on his forehead and his breaths seemed to be laboured, even with the tubes giving him oxygen through his nose. The side effects of his chemo left him pretty bad off, but he looked worse now than Mora had ever seen him. He coughed, and that broke Mora from her thoughts. Without another moment’s hesitation, she hurried over to his side, pulling a chair right next to his bedside and sitting down.

She placed her hand in his, squeezing it and leaning forward. She felt tears coming to her eyes for the millionth time that day and stubbornly pushed them away. She wanted so badly to hate him—she could feel the resentment simmering in her gut—but seeing him in this state, she couldn’t make herself hate him. Still, she could remember her reasonings as clear as day.

The memory hit fast and suddenly, with all the force of a tractor-trailer. Her thoughts had been veering precariously close to that day, so it shouldn’t have surprised her as much as it did to be hit with that memory. One moment she was in Cameron’s hospital room, the next she was right outside his apartment, four days ago.

Mora had been standing outside the door to Cameron’s apartment. She hadn’t called him ahead of time to announce her coming to visit, but she didn’t think she needed to. A week ago, he’d given her a key to his apartment, and she’d given him one to hers. They’d talked about moving in, but Cameron had a roommate, and he wanted to make sure his roommate would be fine if he moved in with Mora. It was a slow process, but Mora had faith that they would live together in the upcoming months.

She was wearing a yellow and blue floral dress that accentuated her figure, and a gold necklace that Cameron had given her. Her hair was tied back in a messy bun, and she was wearing her fancy glasses, the ones with a gold rim. She stared at the door for a few moments, fidgeting with her fingers, before knocking. When no answer came, Mora took out the spare key from her pocket and unlocked the door, pushing through it. It opened into Cameron’s living room, and she didn’t see his roommate around. Mora assumed she was at work, and that was the last that she thought of it.

She called out for Cameron, but when he didn’t respond, she figured he must’ve been in the bathroom, so she decided to wait for him outside, in his living room. However, she started hearing sounds coming from the bedroom—Cameron’s bedroom. It sounded like moaning, and then when she heard a female voice calling out her boyfriend’s name, she hesitated no more and burst into the bedroom. She saw her boyfriend topless and making out with a topless girl, the two of them so close together it was as if they’ve never been separated before.

The next things happened in slow motion, Cameron and the girl turn around—oh hey, wait, that girl is Savannah, Cameron’s roommate—and Mora yells at the two of them, ripping her necklace off and hurling it at him. She gets out of there fast, blocks his number, and spends the next couple of days crying.

The memory ends as abruptly as it began, and Mora finds that tears are coming down her cheeks. She wipes them away furiously and pushes down the surge of anger that rose within her. She recognizes that this hospital room with its tubes and the beep of Cameron’s heartbeat was not the time or place for any hostile emotions. She would deal with all of it later when Cameron got better. Not if, when. She reassured herself in her mind.

Suddenly, as if to confirm Mora’s thoughts, Cameron groaned, his eyes fluttering open.

“Mora?” He croaked.

“Shh,” she said, up by his side, stroking his brown hair. “Rest. You need all your strength, Cam.”

“What…” He coughed, deep and wracking. “What are you…doing here, Mora G?”

“What do you mean? Of course, I’m here,” she cooed. “I’ll always be here.”

“But—don’t you… hate me?”

“No, Cam,” she gulped back the onslaught of tears that threatened to fall. “I love you.”

“I’m… I’m sorry… Mora G.” This cough was more prolonged than the last one.

“It’s okay, Cam, it’s okay.” She was downright blubbering now, tears streaming down her face and snot coming out of her nose. “I forgive you, I forgive you.”

“Mora G…” he reaches up towards her face, smiling up with his blue-green eyes. “I love you… more than… anything in… this world.”

“I know, Cam,” she places his hand against the part of her cheek not covered by the mask.

“I’ll always… be with you… Mora G… remember… that.”

“No,” Mora starts shaking, her grip tightening on his hand. “You’re going to be fine Cam. We’re going to move in and get married and have kids and grow old together. Right, Cam?”

He simply smiled at her—a knowing smile, as if he knew something that she didn’t—and turned away from her. A coughing fit erupted from his lips, and after it ended, he started gasping for air, his mouth wide and gaping, before his eyes closed, and his lips developing a bluish tinge to them. There was an alarm blaring from the machine monitoring Cameron’s stats, and as Mora looked to it, panic rising in her, she took note that his oxygen saturation was dropping. She screamed for help and a nurse ran in, pushing a button on the wall of the room, before rushing to Cameron’s side. “Code blue, room 217. Cold blue, room 217,” a robotic voice repeated through the PA system in the halls. A whole team rushed into the room, and suddenly Mora was being pushed out, and she struggled against the nurses shoving her away, saying she had to be there with him, but they ignored her, removing her from the room, where she was helpless to watch as Cameron’s life slipped away.

Weeks later, Mora stood in Cameron’s apartment after the funeral, sorting through boxes of stuff that his family had organized. Savannah, his roommate, was nowhere to be found, but she wasn’t complaining. She was afraid that if she did see her, it would only end in a fight. It was late, Cameron’s relatives had left earlier in the night and Mora found herself alone, sitting by herself on Cameron’s bed. She had the box designated to her on her lap, and she was sifting through it. Her hand caught onto something, and she pulled it out, smiling as she realized that it was the gold necklace that Cameron had given her. She put it on, resting the gold dove pendant against the light brown skin of her chest.

Her hands rested on her belly, as she was beginning to do when she sought comfort. Mora looked skyward, tears streaming from her eyes as the weight of the loss of her boyfriend fully hit her. His last words to her, “I’ll always… be with you… Mora G… remember… that,” replayed in her mind and she knew it was true, he would always be with her, in her memories and in his child that she carried. She wouldn’t have him, but she would have his kid, and that would have to be enough for her.

1 Like

@Jass @Rainbow

I’ll make the community vote here, sorry for the delay! :see_no_evil:

So who’s entry did you like best?

When will the winner of this be announced? Since this was the April contest and now May is nearly over…

3 Likes

@Littlefeets I think you won.

What do you think @ForumStaff staff?

4 Likes

I think there was staff vote to break the tie. @Rainbow :wink:

5 Likes

Yes, I just checked, the staff vote resulted in another tie, so I guess @Littlefeets and @Nessie won this time! :partying_face: Congrats!

And sorry I forgot about this…

7 Likes

I’ll grant you your badges in a second!

6 Likes