Writing Diversity: Share Your Biggest Anxieties!

That’s a lie. You can gladly do so. And same with some everyday objects as well. :blush:

1 Like

Oh, ok. Thanks! :grin::green_heart:

1 Like

Yeah some people say that, but I think it’s so stupid personally. As long as you’re not making it sound too sensual or sexual.

Like there’s a huge difference between “her skin was was a dark chocolate colour” and “I’d love me some of that chocolate” :joy:

5 Likes

saying you cant make diviersity because you dont know how is stupid you have the internet at your hands. you can legit find someone and ask them.

second if your afraid to offend anyone. people are gonna be offened no matter what you do might as well not care about it

4 Likes

I agree mostly, but I would check a few different sources not just rely on one. You could simply create a thread on the forums to ask, or even better - search for an existing thread. There is a how-to thread for writing diverse characters on here.

4 Likes

I am going to have full customization in my story, but the main character is going to start out as a person of color, so I’m hoping no one gets offended. I am a person of color in real life, and the same ethnicity as the main character but I hope no one thinks I hate my ethnicity. I have seen people calling others out on that in fan mail or instagram stories.

3 Likes

Same with my new story I am working on. I also added art scenes.but it has full cc.

3 Likes

That’s ridiculous and I hate that people make you worry about that. You can still care about letting your reader be represented correctly in the story even if the readers are white.

Do you think white people who allow you to customize hate their ethnicity?

4 Likes

to be fair I hate white people and I am white. or at least people who refore to them as white. I dont wanna be compared to the nut jobs living halfway across the planet just because we have the same skin color

I mean do u allow customization because u dont like being white?
Its more likely you allow customization because you want your reader to be able to make the MC look like them.

my charateres are not even white to begin with. but no I do it so I dont get those. can you add cc comments from people

That’s fine, but I personally think it’s useless though to give them a specific race if people can just change majority of their features. :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

I think that’s fine. I dislike POC MCs with full CC only when the author uses the POC MC as “representation” or is like “My MC is POC!” because a full CC character is whatever you want them to be so they technically don’t count.

3 Likes

Exactly.

1 Like

Thank you! I made all the comments of the main character race-neutral. The story does focus on the main character feeling unlovable, but if I do decide to touch upon physical appearance it would probably be something about arms feeling too long and legs too short.

6 Likes

Honestly, it sometimes scares me to write a more diverse character cause a lot of people will have critique no matter what I do, but yeah I guess that’s normal. Personally, I think a lot of people think a type of representation of something they know about, for example Christianity or LGBTQ+, is automatically wrong if it doesn’t fit their experiences with it. Even tho there are so many different other circumstances, but in some way people struggle with accepting a slightly different representation of something they really care about while it is not more or less valid than their own experiences if that makes sense… So yeah, usually I make diverse characters but just focus on their personality mostly since some experiences I had with portraying diversity weren’t good at all cause of how much people seemed to be offended by it while I did my research and wrote it a way that represented my personal experiences sooo…

7 Likes

The more I fight for representation, the more I hate how much of a big deal people make out of diversity. People are people. They don’t have to all look like you to have interesting stories! So why do people have to act like a single black main character has to be a political statement? Why are marginalised groups treated like political statements and not like bloody people? No wonder people stress so much about diverse casts! We act like marginalised groups are weird and alien.

9 Likes

If anyone wants help with portraying someone with OCD or anxiety I’m free for questions as ik everyone reacts differently so it might be good if u wanna portray different types of anxiety.

3 Likes

definitely using bias, which is most often unintentional.

You have to be semi-neutral as an author

3 Likes

Yup

1 Like