Writing in Different Languages

Personally, I only speak English. The largest extent of writing in other languages for me would be giving characters lines of dialogue in their own languages, although I don’t even do that frequently. However, tons of people on the forums come from very different parts of the world and speak a wide variety of languages. With that in mind, let’s talk about writing in different languages.

• What languages have you written in? How well do you know those languages?
  • Do you like to read books written in other languages?
  • Do you have a favorite language to write in?
  • Which language have you written the most in?
  • What challenges have you faced when trying to write in another language?
  • What benefits have you found when trying to write in another language?
  • Do you prefer writing entirely in another language, or using multiple languages across the book, such as writing dialogue in another language?
  • Do you think that writing in a language other than your native one is a good way to help learn more of that language?
9 Likes

I’ve written in my first language and English, since I’m pretty fluent in both. There are times where I’ve had to write in German, but only for school since I don’t know it that well.

If I understand the language, then yes. I think it’s fun to read in different languages, plus you improve on your vocabulary.

I guess English? My language doesn’t really have a wide variety of words.

English, I mostly write online so they won’t understand me if I wrote in my language.

There were times when I couldn’t find a suitable word, or when I couldn’t find a way to write a sentence.

You learn a lot more words and even get better at its grammar.

I write in English most of the time, so I guess that counts as another language. I’d probably include dialogue in more languages, but when reading most of the time I find it confusing if there’s no translation.

Of course! My german teacher made us write so many essays throughout the school year, and I’ve learnt so much from it.

now I wanna paste these questions on your question thread because I’m out of things to ask

3 Likes

Swedish, English and French. Swedish is my native language, I know English fairly well… My French is not that good but I’ve written some essays for school in French.

Yes! I prefer reading books originally written in English in English. :wink:

I mean… I’m better at writing in Swedish. English has more synonyms but I don’t know all the expressions and sayings that well.

Swedish!

Not being able to directly translate what I would like to say.

Learning more of that language.

I haven’t written anything with 50/50 of two languages

Yeahhh

3 Likes

Serbian of course, English and German. I had to write some essays in German and I was good but now I don’t remember a thing…

Yes! But I only understand English sooo

English! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Serbian. just because of school but I’m somehow not creative when I’m writing in Serbian. I would stress sooo much about our essays because I didn’t know how to write.

Getting better and learning more!

Not being able to find the right words.

I haven’t written anything that way but I think it’s good. I like reading books that are like that even if it gets confusing because you constantly have to check what everything means! I would like to try it though!

Yes, one of the best ways!

4 Likes

Usually Dutch and English, but for school I had to write some essays in German and French as well.

Only if I understand the language I’m reading. I’m not that profecient in German , but I had to do a book report for my German class once which required me to read a German book. The book ended up being fairly interesting, but I often had to look up certain words and phrases in order to know what I was reading. Which really ended up taking my out of the story.

When it comes to storytelling I usually prefer English because the language simply has a bigger vocabulary than the Dutch language. So it comes more in handy whenever I want to describe certain feelings, people and-or objects. Anything school related I prefer in Dutch because that’s my native language therefore I have to think less of what I’m writing down.

Sometimes I want to use a word I know in my native language and apply it to a story I write in English. Only to find out the word I want to use doesn’t really translate well as it doesn’t have a great/no equivalent to it in English.

It helps you understand another language better whilst challenging you to expand your vocabulary.

I’d rather write a book entirely in another language than using multiple languages across the book. Because I’m not really keen on the idea of having to literally tell the reader the translation of words and phrases in order to tell a story.

Ofcourse !

3 Likes

*starts thinking of song ‘Girl from Sweden’

I’m sorry :joy:

3 Likes

Hahaha never heard it :rofl: But I know who Eric Saade is from Eurovision

2 Likes

English, Spanish, and Greek. I’m fluent in both English and Spanish. I can understand Greek and speak it but it takes me a long time to read in Greek because the alphabet is so different.

Not really… I prefer reading in English. Sometimes I read in Spanish, but I don’t like reading books that were originally written in English and translated into Spanish because a lot of the context and idioms get lost in translation.

English.

Both English and Spanish.

Sometimes I can’t remember how to say something in one language but I know it in the other language.

It’s easier to explain certain cultural concepts… like, when writing a story in Spanish that takes place in Mexico, I don’t have to explain or translate customs or festivities.

I don’t mind adding parts of another language to my story as long as I provide the translation for people who don’t speak that language.

Yes, it’s a good way to practice the other language.

3 Likes

English, French, Japanese. :pleading_face:

I know broken English pretty well! I still need tons of improvement in my French.

Thai but I don’t understand much of it.

Broken English!

For french, accents.

I dunno :joy:

Multiple. :wink:

Yes!

2 Likes

Added the #languages tag :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

I’ve written in russian, german, english and french (but french only for school? :eyes::sparkles:
I know russian, english and german quite well, and I’m meh at french :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

Oui :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

Oui, german or english :eyes::sparkles:

German :eyes::sparkles:

I used to confuse some words or letters when I was younger, but the only challenge I face now is finding motivation to write in any language :eyes::eyes::green_heart:

I can express my thoughts better in some languages :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

One language, I’m too lazy to write in multiple languages at once :eyes::sparkles:

Oui, but only if you get a native speaker to proofread it and point out mistakes, because otherwise you won’t end up learning anything :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

3 Likes

Here comes a whole list, Dutch, English, Spanish, and for assignments in school also French and German. The first 3 I know pretty well, the last 2 not :upside_down_face:

If it’s a book from an English writer, yes I like reading it in English, otherwise not really…

Dutch and English, depending on context

Probably Dutch, but English is up really close

In German and French just vocabulary and grammar, haha. In the other cases there were no challenges

It definitely helps you to learn and understand a language better

Entirely

Yesss, haha, but you need to have a basic knowledge of a language to be able to really write something in that language, so you shouldn’t try it if you don’t know grammar and vocabulary cause it will be a struggle

2 Likes

I definitely have had this issue when trying to read books in other languages! If you’re not good enough at it, it can be really disheartening to spend more time trying to look in dictionaries and grammar guides to understand the context.

1 Like
  • What languages have you written in? How well do you know those languages?

I’ve written in both Serbian and English, I know both languages well, but ofc I know better Serbian than English since I’m still learning it.

• Do you like to read books written in other languages?

I try to read as much as I can in English, because I want to improve it.

• Do you have a favorite language to write in?

Serbian, because I can express myself the best in it.

• Which language have you written the most in?

Serbian.

• What challenges have you faced when trying to write in another language?

Personally, it’s hard to express my emotions well and I always have to check the grammar.

• What benefits have you found when trying to write in another language?

I can reach wider audience and I can communicate with more people.

• Do you prefer writing entirely in another language, or using multiple languages across the book, such as writing dialogue in another language?

I prefer writing in multiple languages, but I wanna focus on one language and just add some important dialogue in another.

• Do you think that writing in a language other than your native one is a good way to help learn more of that language?

Yes! Writing in English has helped me understand it better and expressing myself as well.

2 Likes

French, Italian and Ibibio. I’m fluent in ibibio but I’m still learning the ropes for Italian and French.

Only books written in french. If it’s not in French or English, then I’m gonna pass

Yes! It’s French.

English but aside from that, it’s French.

The basic rules of grammar, punctuation, sentence formation and google translate changing the meaning of my sentences.

It makes me appreciate the people who write/speak them more and it makes me grateful for the English Language

I prefer using multiple languages across the book. It’s just a way of showing diversity without going to deep into it when it isn’t part of the plot.

Yes.

2 Likes

Ich kann schreiben auf Deutsche!

I’ve written in English and French for school. English is my first language and I’m pretty much fluent in French. I’ve also had to write in German when I took German lessons and I currently am learning to write in Japanese because I’m learning on Duolingo but wanted to write down the stuff I learn so I remember it easier.

I’ve read a few books in French because I had to for school, but I enjoyed doing it.

Aside from English, French.

English

French - remembering the accents and conjugations
Japanese - there are some characters that are harder to write

I prefer using multiple languages across the book/story. I usually write the main story in English and then if I feel like it, add in a character that speaks a different language.

Definitely. I find that it helps with learning spelling and word order.

1 Like

There are so many characters in Japanese, I struggle to remember how any of them are written. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity :two_hearts: