Writing stories that generate controversy

Thoughts on writing stories where the main character falls in love with her kidnapper?:woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

You are coming out the gates swinging, this is one hell of a first thread :joy:

Youā€™d need to handle it super well for it to be good. There are also a few places you can take it right? You can go the romance option which is definitely the hard way, because kidnapping kinda sucks. So like, how do you make it actually romantic. Not episode romantic :roll_eyes:

Then thereā€™s the horror route but thatā€™s very different. Also needs to be handled carefully but a whole other kettle of fish

5 Likes

Iā€™m fine with it if the story is about how messed up that is. But itā€™s never about that :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

If you want a good example, thereā€™s Final Fantasy 9. Although thatā€™s cheating. The Princess wants to be kidnapped, and the kidnapper falls for her first >.>

4 Likes

Sundosia does it quite well. She gets kidnapped for a political reason by a king of a different kingdom. He asks her to simply send a letter to her father begging him to meet with the king about political issues then he lets her go home. She sees his point and decides to stay 100% freely and then they fall in love

5 Likes

In my life in Paterson, many others along with me have fear of being kidnapped. It happens a lot in my area with little kids and teens. I do get uncomfortable with it a little but overall, not really. Well, when discussed really. It happening irl is more scary than spoken. I donā€™t mind others writing about it as long as itā€™s not romanticized.

2 Likes

Because her dad is doing some bad stuff and she realises that the king kidnapped her as a last resort ā€” her father is doing some shady stuff on the border between the two kingdoms and the king just wants her father to hear him out. Treats her well and everything.

5 Likes

Personally Iā€™ve never read any well- written story with a theme like that :tipping_hand_woman: There are some good ones with a kidnapper villain lol. If thereā€™s a romance story like that, I expect it to be well-written without romanticizing abuse. I guess @ChaoticDeluge ā€˜s example counts xD I love reading stories with unusual plots/themes. Not even counting the episode stories. Sometimes fiction explores ideas which we might not get the chance to experience in real life. @ShanniiWrites Iā€™ve read Sundosia and the author has released a limelight version too :wink:

3 Likes

She has!!! But she hasnā€™t updated for a while and whenever anyone asks her if sheā€™s ok, she just says ā€œIā€™m good please read my storyā€ :sob: I have! I want more!

2 Likes

I love final fantasy 9 and only now realised it counts as a well-written episode story :joy:

1 Like

I donā€™t follow her so no idea :joy: What would you present as a badly written kidnapping romance story on episode?

1 Like

Thereā€™s one called ā€œpregnant and kidnappedā€ that I think presents kidnapping really badly! Itā€™s got like 2 million views too shudder

3 Likes

I remember the authorā€™s name was like MariaPWD? Smh there is a serious problem with character development in these so-called kidnapping stories :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I think these stories are generically boring. Like I find it very weird when the MC falls in love with the kidnapper.

3 Likes

Disgusting.

6 Likes

To be honest. kidnapping stories creep me out. I liked Sundosia, though.

4 Likes

Is it on Episode? I need to read it.

2 Likes

Yep.

i donā€™t support it and i donā€™t read those types of stories, too dysfunctional and justā€¦ ew

If it shows stockholm syndrome instead of ā€œomg hawt guy kidnapped meā€ it may be intresting

8 Likes