Anonymous writing advice

How can I catch the attention of my readers?

You gotta make the plot stand out and really think about what your reader wants. I have to be hyped at the blurb of a story before I even consider reading it. But within the actual story itself, try to use better vocabulary (not in a ridiculous sense) but use words that are often overlooked. Use imagery, make the characters people that the readers want to invest their time into. Reading is a journey and as the author you need to take them on that journey.

Also with the better vocabulary thing

10 Likes

What do I do when I run out of creativity?

Take a break my dude, creativity doesn’t run out but with tiredness it goes into hiding. Have a break, talk to your friends, go outside and chill. If it’s been a few days and you’re still a little out of steam then just work up to it slowly by doing some writing exercises, there’s no rush unless you have a deadline.

@discobot come on disco I need to to post

9 Likes

:thought_balloon: can you post now?

6 Likes

Im struggling to write my characters right now. They seem too cliché and dull.

We have some character threads here Kales guide to well developed characters we have Interesting character excersises from Shannii, this one right here is from @/lanafrazer tips on antagonist characters one of my own right here and another one of mine here so please feel free to check out these threads as they all give different and helpful advice for the situation you are in. The fact that these are all different will mean you will find one that suits you.

11 Likes

Thank you :joy:

4 Likes

You are welcome. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

You could try to make a promotion thread for it on here, I’m sure that some people would read it if they knew about your story :smile_cat::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

Don’t we already have a thread for that? :thinking::sweat_smile::eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

4 Likes

We have a prompt thread, not sure about a general description one

4 Likes

We don’t have a general description one as far as I know :thinking::eyes::sparkles::green_heart::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking of making :joy:

4 Likes

Oh :no_mouth: I misunderstood it :sweat_smile::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:
A general description thread sounds like a good idea :eyes::sparkles::+1::green_heart:

3 Likes

I have a solid story idea but I’m struggling with how to link the main events with the story! Any advice?

My advice is to either make it a bonus side story or add in one factor that it shares with the main plot line, it could even just be a line of dialogue or an object which both plot lines use.

5 Likes

I’m struggling with writing relatable characters. It’s my first draft and I know it doesn’t have to be perfect but I at least want these characters to be somewhat interesting when they’re not.

5 Likes

Maybe try to base their traits and personality on real life people’s personalities? :sweat_smile::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:
I tried

3 Likes

Then get attached to your chars XD

2 Likes

But still kill all of them in the end :smiling_imp::eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

1 Like

I never kill my characters. I guess it’s because I write more lighthearted stories and not murder mysteries or sad dramas… but yeah, I’ve never killed off any character in my stories.

7 Likes

It’s the opposite for me… I struggle with not killing off characters… I can always come up with a way to kill them for no reason other than creating drama because I’m bored :no_mouth::green_heart::eyes::sparkles::sweat_smile::joy:

5 Likes

How do you get the MC to act like they like the LI?

6 Likes

Imagine what you would act like if you liked someone? Idk :sweat_smile::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

5 Likes