Anonymous writing advice

Bump.

This writing advice is so helpful! :white_heart:

3 Likes

Bump cause this is really useful but doesn’t get used enough…

4 Likes

Hey everybody, I’ve reopened the thread because we have alot of new users who may want to ask for advice anonymously :blush: I’ll tag @Discussions here

11 Likes

Oh cool! Now, I don’t have to make the writing tips thread.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading Eleanor’s creative writing on the forum, she’s talented af! How do I write like her?

Hhhhhhh bro thanks for the compliment unless you mean a different Eleanor :joy:

I’m severly out of practise with my writing and I really don’t know how to advise you :sweat_smile: maybe don’t write like me, write like you :sunglasses:

6 Likes

How do you introduce characters in a more organic way? For example, let’s say the main character has been taken by a group of characters who don’t trust her. Would it make sense to have them interrogate her or tend to her needs before questioning her?

Probably tend to her needs first and have that one person who’s like damn I don’t like the look of her, something fishy goin on here :joy: I think baraging the main character with questions immediately isn’t a great idea but I have seen it done alright :joy:

7 Likes

How do we create character flaws and avoid Mary Sues?

I do believe we have a blog post on this here

6 Likes

How do I start my blog? I don’t know if I should just jump right into it or explain myself before I do anything

Shannii made a rad blog post on this here

5 Likes

Wait, where is El’s writing? I stg I’ve never seen any.

Restricted section hehe

5 Likes

I started a story, but the main part starts from chapter 3. Is that bad?, because I am afraid that the first 3 chapters are not interesting enough for the readers to read

Well personally I don’t think it’s bad, usually I expect to be captivated within the first 3 chapters, only certain stories go straight in alot of the time the first two chapters can be just scene setting but I guess that depends on how long your chapters are :joy:

6 Likes

I’m writing a dystopian novel and I’ve got all my characters down pat. I have the basic plot line (with a few additions) but I can’t think of the world. I’m struggling on everything - laws, society and what it’s like. It’s not an apocalypse type world and I’m afraid that I’ll rip off 1984 or Brave New World. Any advice?

6 Likes

So, I think the most important things are to define exactly how controlling the society is

• is there free speech? how protected is speech?
  • does the government control the press?
  • what is the major resource that the government has control of? a lot of governments have a major thing that they focus on
  • how did the government become dystopian?
  • what is the stated goal of the government? what is its actual goal?
  • is the government more peaceful or militaristic?
5 Likes

How can I create different personalities without them being too unnatural or pushed?

3 Likes

Any more questions or advice? @Writers

2 Likes

When writing I like to have 1-2 paragraphs of just setting the scene and mood between two characters but I find it hard describing them as I like to slip in the descriptions slowly in paragraphs 3-5. When writing in third person do you have any advice on cutting down on the amount of pronouns used?

…sorry for posting this 4 months late

5 Likes

I honestly have no inspiration for the love interest in my story. I know what traits I want him to have. but I just can’t find the right name or face claim for him. All the FCs I’ve seen are of these smokin’ hot guys with a smoldering stare, but I want my love interest to be a bit of an innocent idealist type. He’s not rich, so guys with expensive outfits won’t work, either.
Honestly, the lack of a fitting name as well as not being able to picture him as I write is stalling me from introducing him into the story.

5 Likes

@Writers I’ll try not to let this slip again but if someone else wants to take over the thread that’s fine

6 Likes

I could help out with the thread if you want me to.

2 Likes

No problem I’ll grant you access to the form

2 Likes

Alright, sounds good to me!

1 Like