Anonymous writing advice

Hey guys! I actually enjoy giving writing advice but I know that some people don’t like asking for it so I decided to make an anonymous form where you can ask me for advice. (Anyone else can also give advice though).

this form is only for writing related things, the anonymous confessions and anonymous question threads are for general questions and confessions so please use them for non writing related things

here’s the form

This is my first time making one of these so if I fudged up then let me know

18 Likes

How to help with writers block??? :pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:

My personal advice is to look for inspiration around you, you can literally find it anywhere whether it be in your real life or on a TV show (although don’t plagarise). Also try not to overthink it too much because that just keeps the cycle of writers block going! Just try to relax. If it’s a fantasy story then look at some folklore. If you need some more specific advice though then you can PM me.

12 Likes

How do you foreshadow without basically giving blatant spoilers? :confounded:

It’s definitely a good question, one of my favourite writing techniques is foreshadowing, you need to be pretty subtle and try to be clever in a sense. You can use symbolism. For example, in Romeo and Juliet calling them “star crossed lovers” showed that they were doomed from the start as their fate had already been written.

Using symbolism is a great way to hide foreshadowing and you can make it as obvious or as subtle as you want. Another example is in Lord of the flies, when Roger is throwing stones at a younger child it foreshadows Piggy being killed by a rock. (Sorry for the spoiler there).

8 Likes

What do most people prefer when reading a book? Past tense or Present tense? <3

My English teacher told me that is always easiest to write in the past tense, why you might ask. Because commonly when writing in present tense it is very easy to fall back into writing past tense which is not good. Therefore, due to purposes of ease, I prefer both reading and writing in past tense but here is a poll.

• Reading in past tense
  • Reading in present tense

0 voters

8 Likes

Interesting thread! I will definitely be coming here if I need writing advice!

5 Likes

I don’t care tbh, I usually don’t even notice which tense the story is written in if it’s good because I’m too focused on the plot :no_mouth::eyes::sparkles::green_heart::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

It’s harder for me to focus if it’s in present tense :joy:

5 Likes

But isn’t present tense supposed to make the reader feel more engaged in the story? :sweat_smile::green_heart: At least that’s what I’ve read somewhere :sweat_smile::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

5 Likes

Yeah but it’s harder to do tbh because present tense is not typically used it’s so easy to fall into past tense because your brain is so used to reading things that way.

So if you wanna be different then write in present tense, like a diary or something.

5 Likes

Bookmarking!

5 Likes

Can I get an opinion on a story prompt I have?

Of course you can! I’m all ears, or eyes considering it will be read :eyes:

8 Likes

Oki, here we go. Nobody steal it!

You grew up in the mafia and in a life of crime. What happens when you fall in love with a criminal. Do you tell the truth? Or keep your past a secret.

Okay personally I think it is a tad cliché but please don’t take this as an insult I just think the whole mafia thing and falling for a criminal has been overdone. It’s also hard to accurately portray certain things.

How about instead of falling for a criminal they fall for an innocent person, a forbidden love kind of prompt.

10 Likes

The blog has a post on writers block! Check it out!

7 Likes

That’s always a good point, check out Shannii’s blog for certain tips, you can find it by pressing the house shaped button at the top of the screen.

5 Likes

This kinda more of a question but, is it necessary to plan the entirety of your story’s world and characters including places in the story before writing your draft? Or did I get that wrong?

It’s not mandatory but I do highly reccomend doing so because it actually makes the story seem well thought out and developed. With that said you don’t need to but it can help you get to know your characters better and the environment they are in.

9 Likes

Anybody else need help? :eyes:

2 Likes

I’ll have more time to answer over this weekend

So send me them questions!

2 Likes

I published my first Wattpad story about a month ago but I only have a few reads even though I spend so much time on it. And now it feels like I wrote it all for nothing. But I don’t want to give up. How can you gain more reads? (Wattpad) :heart:

You definitely didn’t write it for nothing! If anything you will have increased your writing ability. Make sure you promote it everywhere (including here). Send people the link to it, you could even ask the review team on here to review your story and give it feedback so you can find out if there are any faults! You definitely didn’t write it for nothing, gaining reads isn’t easy. Some people just make it look that way.

(Ignore this I’m tagging disco because I’ve posted multiple times @discobot)

9 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

3 Likes

What’s the best way to describe something?

Good question but it does depend! Personally I don’t like a long amount of description in one place because it gets a bit boring. Especially if it’s a character description it should be more spaced out as the plot develops. Or when describing a room please don’t feel the need to go too in depth with the whole thing.

also when describing eyes don’t just do gem stones

If you want to improve your describing skills then I suggest picking a picture every week and trying it. I may even make a thread on it.

7 Likes