Are You a Planner/Plotter or a Pantser?

i was watching a joseph evans video and one of the questions kinda stood out to me so i wanted to ask it here!

plotters/planners are people who plan their story in advance, and pantsers just start writing and see where their story ends up.

are you a plotter/planner or a pantser?

i’d say i’m a mix between both, i kind of plan my stories but i don’t plan them completely, just the general plots, characters, and characters overall personality. then i start writing and see what happens from there.

the con to not completely planning out my story is that i get writer’s block often and it takes me a while to get out of it, but people who are planners/plotters complain about how if they want to change something, they have to redo their whole outline.

11 Likes

I’m kind of a mix too. I planned my world, setting and magic system massively and had it all fully thought out, then I placed characters that I had made up when I was younger in that setting and let the story build itself from there.

Seems to be going okay so far xD

7 Likes

I try to plan, but I get bored and end up pantsing the rest

9 Likes

I usually think of the plot in my head a while before writing it (at least for Episode) and now I’m also doing a rough script of a few scenes, then doing the scenes then planning out more scenes. So there’s a mix but I don’t want to plan out everything because then writing it isn’t fun and there aren’t any surprises, but I have to plan out things to an extent to make sure that I’m going to be okay with it and that it works with everything, because if not I’ll end up deleting it in most cases.

4 Likes

If I’m actually writing something besides Episode I usually just go with the flow and pants it.

4 Likes

I feel really dumb and sleepy because I read planter and thought this was a thread about gardening… I have never been more wrong and confused in my life. my brain at 3am.

9 Likes

I used to be a planner/plotter but I’m kind of a perfectionist so when I get an idea I write it down ASAP and try to make it fit somewhere. So more of a pantser now

6 Likes

I don’t really write anymore, but I planned a brief outline then pantsed the rest. :yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Pantser, for sure. I try to plan it out but- It just ends up with me losing my inspiration and I give up writing in the first place. Sometimes I try to make a small outline, though. It works, occasionally.

3 Likes

Planner, or that’s why I am still working on my detailed outline instead of publishing yet…

4 Likes

I am a pantser, i try to write, no inspiration, but whenever i go to sleep, all the ideas come to my mind and i’m like “Wrong timing, brain”…

But still a pantser.

6 Likes

I’m trying to plan. It’s easy to get writer’s block if you dunno where you are going with the story. The minimum I do now, is I plan the ending, and overall character arcs.
But I add some backstory, and events along the way.

7 Likes

I am trying to be a mix between the two because I tried to be a planner but I lost motivation quickly.

And I tried to be a pantser but like, I ended up with writers block so I am trying to build a nice balance between them.

I am, by default, a pantser though. :laughing:

6 Likes

A mix of both.

I come up with a main plot and then keep writing and writing till I feel like the story is complete.

5 Likes

I’m a mix of both as well. I plan out the beginning, middle, and end. Then a pantser the in-between parts which is what I’m currently stuck on. Also, I’m revamping mine and @Amet story we wrote together. (Grammarly does not like pantser)

5 Likes

I might develop an idea of where I’m going eventually, but I usually just start going and see where it goes, then go back and edit out any plot holes

6 Likes

I plot my stories out fully before I start writing or else I’ll get off track and stray away from the plot I had in mind. Then I go in and fill in some spots with some unnecessary, banter filled scenes just for fillers so it’s not all plot.

5 Likes

I am both. Is that weird?

2 Likes

not at all! tbh i’m both too, depending on the story and how lazy i get.

1 Like

Bump.

1 Like